Black Diamond vs. Ranger vs. Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick

Reaction score
Looking for a new BC and need your opinions. I have decided on all the other new equipment including a Legend LX, but having troulbe making up my mind on the BC. Starting diving in Guam & Palau and have 120 dives. I am 6'0" and 205 pounds. In Guam I had a Black Diamond and LOVED it, but like a moron I sold my gear when I left to come back to the states. Cost is not a concern, but I want to make sure I am not missing something better. The ones I am looking at are: Black Diamond, Zeagle Ranger or a Dive Rite TransPac and Wing. Bottom line, I am looking for comfort, durability and functionality. Your Thoughts? Thanks

BP/W there someone said it

Like most divers we progress as our experience increases. Your choice of a Black Diamond back mount was a good place to start. The real choice facing you is the type of diving your are going to be doing now that you are back in the States. The Black Diamond and Ranger are very similar, back inflated, cumberbund, plenty of D rings. You can't go wrong. Now the DiveRite Transpac is something different. Back plate, no cumberbund, multi-wing adaptable, good for single, double tanks, with side mount kit, two independent side mount tanks. Should you need accessories a full line of DiveRite add ons, pockets, weight pockets, etc.
If you are going to dive wreaks or start caving, the Transpac is the way to progress. If those two activites aren't in your future then the BD or Ranger are what I'd look at.
I personally own the Ranger and DiveRite BP/Wings and have only dove the Ranger once in the past year (last weekend). After that dive I realized how much easier the BP/Wing is for my needs. (I'm diving caves exclusively for the past two years). A sidemount is in my future as my back can't support the weight of doubles much longer.
Hope this helps you in your decision?

I chose the Ranger over the Black Diamond for durability, features, and price. I called Scubatoys and got a substantial discount on the Ranger Ltd. with a full warranty.

-Dan

I voted Dive rite BPW

Charles R:
BP/W there someone said it

Yeah, it's sorta like the person who shows up at the Jr. High football game with an air-horn. There's always one or two in the crowd.

Quick:
Looking for a new BC and need your opinions. I have decided on all the other new equipment including a Legend LX, but having troulbe making up my mind on the BC. Starting diving in Guam & Palau and have 120 dives. I am 6'0" and 205 pounds. In Guam I had a Black Diamond and LOVED it, but like a moron I sold my gear when I left to come back to the states. Cost is not a concern, but I want to make sure I am not missing something better. The ones I am looking at are: Black Diamond, Zeagle Ranger or a Dive Rite TransPac and Wing. Bottom line, I am looking for comfort, durability and functionality. Your Thoughts? Thanks

I'd say the Transpac (Travel Wing for me) because I've never dived a BD or a Ranger. I have a Zeagle Stiletto which I like just as much as my Transpac.

I've got a Transpac w/Rec wing and love the way it works. My goal is to make a trip to Bikini and get into cave diving (old above water spelunker). Checking around and talking to some old tech divers around here Transpac was highly recommended due to the versatility. Very natural, tank is securely mounted to me so no "wiggle", and uncluttered front. I did buy a couple diverite thigh pockets to carry a spare light/sausage/finger spool. I also use the Diverite Transweight 16 pockets and am happy with the way they work/balance me out. Pretty streamlined in the water. Just got back from Coz and thinking about getting another one for my son. I did have one problem with it on the trip though. The inflater developed a small crack on the mold line where the male inflator piece screws in (purchased about 2 years ago). Just got off the phone with ScubaToys where I bought it and they're sending a new one out no charge. Can't say enough good about Scubatoys. Very helpful, great prices, and no hassle service. Highly recommend giving them a call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom