Black dye from fina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jlegrow

Registered
Reaction score
So this is a weird one - grabbed some Scubapro fins off FB Marketplace. Just wanted something cheap for the pool and maybe snorkeling. Wore them tonight; was rinsing them off at my house and it's like black ink/dye is just pouring off them. I noticed in my car there were black splotches on things and I was like, "What the...?!?" Has anyone ever experienced this? I can't figure out what is happening. Is this a "these fins are too old?" sort of issue? The rubber was still soft and flexible so I thought they were okay. Even if I get the water to run clear, as soon as I rub them in the water the dye runs again. Completely mystifying.

Attachments

• 71496313108__F022507D-CA39-4CA5-8B48-90671FB0FDDB.jpeg
    71496313108__F022507D-CA39-4CA5-8B48-90671FB0FDDB.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 93
probably just a black marker, not even shoe polish...

I don't want to make them look new - I was hoping someone could tell me why they are running black? Like everytime I use them. Are they defective?

I think the seller was trying to fool you into thinking they were in better shape than they actually were by applying polish or some other coloring to cover age or wear.

I don't want to make them look new - I was hoping someone could tell me why they are running black? Like everytime I use them. Are they defective?
No, they’re saying that whoever sold them to you might have used black shoe polish or black marker to make them look new, so they would sell more quickly. If that’s the case, then give them a good scrubbing with Dawn dish soap and a brush.
Beyond what was mentioned above, I can’t think of anything that would be causing what you’re describing. Age shouldn’t cause something like that.

Good luck,

Erik

If you used PayPal you could try to file a complaint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom