Black dye from fina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only trouble is they dye everything they touch after being in the water lol. And to be fair, they're too tight on me. I'd hoped once they were in the water they'd be the right width but they're just a hair too tight and after about 20 mins it's super uncomfortable. I was going to re-sell them but now I'm like well, I can't if they're leaking dye 😂

Likely what others have said. Seller put something on them to make them look less faded or whatever. They look like natural rubber but what brand and model is stamped of them? Just curious.......

As the stuff wears off especially if using them swimming in a chlorinated pool it'll wear off and they'll be fine.....

Good luck!

DH

Sadly no, met in person and paid cash. Learned my lesson!

Now you can tell people you have Al Jolson fins.

Likely what others have said. Seller put something on them to make them look less faded or whatever. They look like natural rubber but what brand and model is stamped of them? Just curious.......

As the stuff wears off especially if using them swimming in a chlorinated pool it'll wear off and they'll be fine.....

Good luck!

DH
They're ScubaPro S floating rubber fins. To be honest I don't know what that actually means, aside from them just being regular ole fins (that float).

Here's what they look like not leaking dye. After I had given them a soak in the tub (Altho I think they're still leaking if I get them wet again.)

Attachments

• IMG_5720.jpeg
    IMG_5720.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 43
My Dad had a pair of those and they're easy kicking comfortable full foot fins.

There might have been some rubber compound change depending how they were stored. Or it's just something the seller put on to make them look nice.

I have several pairs of the classic Cressi Rondine design made by Oceanways and sold as the Oceanways Aquapro. I have 2 pairs each of BLACK and BLUE (which float but are not made anymore I think.)

Both the BLACK and BLUE have the nice rubber "snap". Newer modern compounds in natural rubber fins like these may be different than those Scubapro ones but I don't know.

All in all I wouldn't worry as eventually whatever was on them will dissipate.

DH

IMG_6105.jpeg

The unwritten rule of buying used is that you are usually buying someone else's problems.

For every too-good-to-be-true deal like a $25 Pressed Steel 120, there are plenty of regs that can no longer be serviced, BCs that won't hold air, pre-1990 aluminum tanks no one will touch, wetsuits that have lost their spring, masks that leak, fins that don't fit etc.

It's fun to peruse CL, FB, Offerup etc. for a smoking bargain but unless you really, really know what to look for, you rarely get what you pay for in the used market. Never bet more than you're willing to lose.

Having said that, the quality of gear on SB classifieds seems high and prices are mostly reasonable.

Perhaps other have had a different experience with fins, but ones that were slightly tight and uncomfortable when I bought them, are still tight and uncomfortable. I found fins do not stretch like a pair of slightly too tight pair of Crocs. My mistakes were relatively inexpensive, so I gave them away to family members they fit.

Yeah I'm just gonna give them away. I apparently just have the oddest foot - narrow heel, wider ball of foot but just average length for woman. I've been having the worst time finding a full foot fin that fits. It's been incredibly frustrating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom