black or white skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried both and prefer the clear skirt for my underwater tourist look-at-the-pretty-fish diving. Even though the skirt has yellowed and is a bit grungy, many times I first notice turtles, sharks, or large pelagics with my peripheral vision through the skirt. Also helps me notice when my buddy-du-jour starts to wander off.

The drawback is having to put my hand over the mask skirt to block light so that I can better see into dark nooks and crannies on bright day.

Get a a pair of Cressi Big Eyes with a black skirt and have the best of both worlds: Huge field of vision and no ugly yellow skirt. It looks cool too especially if you get black on black...very ominous! :)

Oh how I loved the view with my Cresi big eyes....
But alas it did not fit my face an leaked too much.
I was forsed to get something that did not leak.
You are lucky it fits your face.

franklinreinoza:
I was wondering if it is different to see through a mask that have a black skirt or a transparent skirt?

is it different?

Black for photography/video as it blocks some of the ambient light coming in. Having said that - and being a videographer - I'm currently diving with a 3 window clear silicone mask. I have a perception of greater peripheral vision using it. My last mask (which I dove over 10 years) had a black skirt.

I think the most important thing is get what you're comfortable with that doesn't leak.

Seeing through the view finder on a housed SLR or dSLR is very difficult unless you use a black mask. The light coming in from the side may cause the viewfinder to be difficult to see through. Same sort of thing as using a rubber eye cup to cover your eye above water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom