Black Skirts limited vision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a clear skirt mask when working with students. It allows them to see my face and helps them know I am watching them. However when I'm not on the clock, I dive a black skirt mask. The black skirt I find is far easier on the eyes, due to the lack of glare. Both masks are the Tusa Visulator (sp?) and offer a very good field of view with almost no noticeable lack of peripheral vision. The Mares X-Vision I have been told are also very good at offering superior peripheral vision when compared to more conventional mask designs.

Go with the Black skirt.

I have had both and I prefer the clear ones. I am sorry, I know that is not tech or PC. I have never had glare to be a problem except in the most shallow and brightest conditions was it ever even noticeable to me. I like the cheery feeling they give me and I can see movement at least through the skit. It feels more natural to me and I like it. I have nothing against black masks, I got several and still use them but my newest Mares X vision is clear and I love it. I get what I get because it is what I like, not because I seek approval of the latest trend setters, if you like the clear, get it, if you enjoy the black skirt then get that one. All through the 80s clear masks were in and now in the 00s it is black is back, I am waiting for yellow and blue to make a come back like the 50s and 60s. N

Deus:
I am debating whether or not to get the black skirted x-vision r the clear. I knowth black skirt eliminates some glare but doesn't it limit any side vision?
I have a Sporasub Spartak with black skirt. Could not imagine anything different. I am not real familiar with the X-Vision but I know a lot on the board swear by it. I have found, however, that a black skirt is a bit more pliable and it doesn't tend to degrade as much. As far as side vision, if you go with a low volume mask it will inherently have good side vision as the lenses are closer to the face, I am unsure about the X-Vision though.

go with the black skirt, i have a big eyes with the black skirt and find it much easier on the eyes, my first mask had a clear skirt and i couldn't go back to that now..

IMHO, diving with a clear skirt mask is the same as wearing blue blockers on a very bright, sunny day, instead of a pair of Maui Jims (or Ray Bans, or whichever you like) with a nice G-15 gray lens. Way too much glare!!!

bob1dp:
I own black and translucent skirted masks. I use the black for photography. Ones that allow light are very distracting and can flare certain kinds of cameras. I think the clear are a little less claustrophobic just allowing a brighter view of the world.
I agree with Bob: I love owning two X-vision masks: I use the black skirted one for day dives, because it cuts down on side glare, and keeps my eyes more sensitive to low light. I dive in SoCal kelp and spend lots of time peering into caves and crevices looking for inverts, fish, and other shy creatures. On night dives I use the clear skirted mask because my peripheral vision can track my partner's light. Best of both worlds, and you need a back-up mask anyway. Great masks!

Not many clear skirts stay really transparent for long. I expect at least 5 years use out of a good mask and normally after a few months the skirt is translucent and not transparent.
So you are left with the glare and no peripheral vision. The only time this is useful is when you are night diving and somebody slightly behind you wants to attract your attention.

Black skirt is the way to go for reduced glare, UNLESS you are slightly claustrophobic. Would not recommend for a beginning diver because of that unless they are comfortable underwater and no problem with mask skills.

tedwhiteva:
Black skirt is the way to go for reduced glare, UNLESS you are slightly claustrophobic. Would not recommend for a beginning diver because of that unless they are comfortable underwater and no problem with mask skills.

Ditto,

plus, if you live in the tropics or store your mask with you wetsuit or fins, the clear silicone gets stained and dirty more. Black ones dont show theis.

and black is more macho anyhow.

miketsp:
Not many clear skirts stay really transparent for long. I expect at least 5 years use out of a good mask and normally after a few months the skirt is translucent and not transparent.
So you are left with the glare and no peripheral vision. The only time this is useful is when you are night diving and somebody slightly behind you wants to attract your attention.

This is almost always true, although I've found that using my Sea Vision defog to clean my wife's mask has kept the skirt totally transparent for the last 2 yrs. If no Sea Vision defog available, plain dishwashing liquid is ok (diluted, of course). OTOH, although I've used my SV (with the pink color correcting lenses; not the yellow lenses) at night, I recently purchased a clear lens, black skirt mask for night diving; still need to test dive it though!

Back
Top Bottom