Blackbeard liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a Blackbeard's trip Oct. 2nd out of Nassau (it'll be my first liveaboard/scuba trip ever) , can hardly wait! Sounds fantastic, only wish nitrox was available as well...

Yeah, nitrox would be nice but I can see how difficult it would be to swap out O2 bottles every trip.

Yeah, nitrox would be nice but I can see how difficult it would be to swap out O2 bottles every trip.

A membrane system solves the issues of swapping O2 tanks. Nearly all liveaboards use membrane systems. It also means the tanks don't require O2 cleaning.

It is a nightmare. It's also lots more time/work required of the crew.

to fill a tank using o2 bottles for Partial Pressure Blending, they end up completely draining each tank tank and doing the initial fill with o2, then topping off with o2 clean air. Very time consuming. Especially for 20 tanks, 5 times a day.

I've been on a liveaboard that does this and could clearly see that instances of the liveaboard owner being cheap just meant more work on his crew.

Been on liveaboards that have membrane systems. You just hook up and top off. Pretty simple compared to the other method.

A membrane system solves the issues of swapping O2 tanks. Nearly all liveaboards use membrane systems. It also means the tanks don't require O2 cleaning.

I've asked the BB crew about this and I think there is just no room on the boat for a membrane system. Those boats are really jam packed and I can totally see that there is just no room, but I don't know how much more space it would take to be able to fill air and nitrox for different divers.

I have sailed with Blackbeard's three times and would do it again in a heartbeat. Pack light and enjoy the fun. No nitrox, so what?

I've asked the BB crew about this and I think there is just no room on the boat for a membrane system. Those boats are really jam packed and I can totally see that there is just no room, but I don't know how much more space it would take to be able to fill air and nitrox for different divers.

it's not just the membrane system.....

to have both air and nitrox, you have to have the Membrane system, which requires additional electrical generation on top of the compressor, and also requires a new additional set of "banks" to bank the nitrox in.

squeezing that all into a 65 foot boat that already sleeps 20+ people is just "kinda tight" to do.

I have sailed with Blackbeard's three times and would do it again in a heartbeat. Pack light and enjoy the fun. No nitrox, so what?

I agreee with you that diving air isn't a problem, but nitrox would be so much nicer. When you are doing 5 dives a day, you start being limited by NDL before gas supply really quick. You really start to feel the sub-clinical DCS too. When you start climing out of the water feeling tired and drained, then you begin asking yourself if you REALLY want to do the night dive that night, you are most likely at the subclinical level.

I agreee with you that diving air isn't a problem, but nitrox would be so much nicer. When you are doing 5 dives a day, you start being limited by NDL before gas supply really quick. You really start to feel the sub-clinical DCS too. When you start climing out of the water feeling tired and drained, then you begin asking yourself if you REALLY want to do the night dive that night, you are most likely at the subclinical level.

You sure absence of nitrox is the issue? :D

"OH yeah. almost forgot.... Blackbeards has beer on tap on the deck, and gallons of rum-punch everynight. Along with a lot of wine and liquor at your disposal. All included, gratis. Makes a nice way to end the diving day!"

BTW, I don't know that I ever did 5 dives in a day with BB. Four was common and the few night dives usually meant it was snorkeling or lobster hunting during one of the daytime dive slots.

When I went, the capt asked us as a group whether we wanted as many dives as possible, or fewer dives and more shore time (such as at Bimini). We voted for max dives.

PS, the girls from the shark lab are an interesting lot!

And for the record, I didn't drink. I vary rarely drink, and was having plenty of fun sober!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom