Blacking out while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, CO is beyond the control of a normal diver and undetectable unless you have specialized equipment. It is introduced though the compressor systems used to fill the tanks. You either trust the people maintaining the system or buy a CO detector.

I agree though, health issues are much more likely cause of blackouts, diving or topside.

Oops - Finn Mom beat me to the punch...

i was more referring to diving past the limits of your nitrox blend (Oxygen Toxicity), not necessarily CO2 (hypercapnia) being in your tank.

i was more referring to diving past the limits of your nitrox blend (Oxygen Toxicity), not necessarily CO2 (hypercapnia) being in your tank.

No problem. I was referring to CO (Hypoxia) which I believe is a bigger threat for divers than CO2.

The OP has already stated that he now understands that the conversation to which he referred in his first post was indeed freediving. OP already as much as thanked Rich and the forum for helping him realize that indeed the conversation to which he referred in his original/first post WAS about freediving.

But hey, why don't we all just go on and on and scare the crap out of some other newbies that might be reading this thread.

And TMHeimer, why on earth do you NOT want to see a shark??!!

Back
Top Bottom