BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My post have been out for a week. Can't seam to get a answer of what to do when the battery goes bad. You think some dive shop who sells them, of even Bladefish would answer, or post it on a web site. I'll just keep waiting

I think people in the Diver Direct video are finning along because their buoyancy and trim are awful and they need finning to maintain it. Guessing they're very very recreational with the danglies and all.

My post have been out for a week. Can't seam to get a answer of what to do when the battery goes bad. You think some dive shop who sells them, of even Bladefish would answer, or post it on a web site. I'll just keep waiting

As I understand it, the units can be returned to Innovative Scuba for battery replacement. I don't know the cost, as they don't anticipate much volume in battery replacement for a while yet.

Remember, for the target audience, one of the most important features of the design is that the user CANNOT (unless they are electrically stronger than the average bear) get into the battery compartment. This results in almost no chance of flooding. This was a terrible problem with the various Seadoo units and the copies of that same design.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

There was at least 10 of us that tried out the bladefish this weekend and everyone came up with a smile on their face. I have never used a water scooter before but had fun with this one and covered a lot of ground with very little effort. Several said they will buy one, we will see. I would probably buy one but would have to buy 2, one for my wife also, she has made that clear.

I think it is a very clever design.

My scooter students were given lower end scooters to try before they got their hands on tech scooters (Mako/Gavin). They loved the lower end scooters for about a week. Once they had general skills down I let them try the tech scooters. The lower end scooters were rarely touched after that.

X

My wife and I have used these scooters regularly sincee we purchased them. They are still 5 star in our book. I have owned both models of sea doo(still own the explorer,vs supercharged both are in the garbage) and these are much better

My wife and I have used these scooters regularly sincee we purchased them. They are still 5 star in our book. I have owned both models of sea doo(still own the explorer,vs supercharged both are in the garbage) and these are much better

Hi Deeper,

Good to know that they are robust. I'm a little confused...are the Seadoo's in the garage, or garbage? If they are being binned I wonder if the motors can be salvaged in some way to turn them into ROV's with some type of capsule to fit the motor into?

Cheers,

X - Bichons rule, other dogs drool :)

Hi Deeper,

Good to know that they are robust. I'm a little confused...are the Seadoo's in the garage, or garbage? If they are being binned I wonder if the motors can be salvaged in some way to turn them into ROV's with some type of capsule to fit the motor into?

Cheers,

X - Bichons rule, other dogs drool :)

Hi, no the vs supercharged are in the trash. I spent 40+dollars on shipping to fix one of them and it still didnt work. I gave up on the 2nd one

Nailing bugs and having fun daily with my pocket rocket BladeFish 5000 Like it better with every dive. Fins in one hand BladeFish in the other-cant' tell which is lighter!

Note for bug hunters: 1st speed is perfect for scanning rocky areas for critters.

Sub-aquatic friends. Yes, we have another approach here, but not for the better.

I can see the sales pitch some of you go for, which is cool, but dude………............. I am not sure where exactly we stopped being safety conscious: I have an engineering background and having an integrated Li-ion battery is a clear cost-cut decision from the makers and puts the user at risk. How can you lay Li-ion batteries bare under a few mm of plastic with a body that is held together by screws; no extra locking buckles for added pressure on the o-rings??? Li-ion batteries are also available in waterproof casings for extra protection. Why not use that?

This may sound a bit over the top but like to stand up for safety in this sport.

The Iron Diver

Sub-aquatic friends. Yes, we have another approach here, but not for the better.

I can see the sales pitch some of you go for, which is cool, but dude………............. I am not sure where exactly we stopped being safety conscious: I have an engineering background and having an integrated Li-ion battery is a clear cost-cut decision from the makers and puts the user at risk. How can you lay Li-ion batteries bare under a few mm of plastic with a body that is held together by screws; no extra locking buckles for added pressure on the o-rings??? Li-ion batteries are also available in waterproof casings for extra protection. Why not use that?

This may sound a bit over the top but like to stand up for safety in this sport.

The Iron Diver

I'm not a fan of the grossly exaggerated performance claims made by he Bladefish promoters...........but enclosing Li-Ion batteries in a plastic housing is not a particularly high risk approach.

The idea that Li-Ion batteries + sea water = bomb is just not true.

SOP for a runaway Li-Ion pack is to submerge it in salt water. The battery will be damaged beyond repair, but the salt water provides cooling and a means to discharge the battery.

Lithium Ion batteries are just that; Lithium Ion, *NOT* Metallic Lithium. Lithium Metal + water will result in a dramatic reaction.

I have intentionally flooded large lithium ion packs. No cells lost their integrity, no fires, no explosions, just some bubbling (electrolysis)

Battery pack topology, control circuitry and recharging methodology are far far more important for safety than how the batteries are packaged to prevent water intrusion.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom