Blaine's stupid human tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_infinity:
I still think what he did was amazing. I don't understand why people would think he's an idiot. Why don't YOU try staying in water for a week straight and then trying to beat the breath hold record while in chains? THEN talk about him being an idiot and whatnot. :wink:

Uhh...because I am not an idiot?

~Marlinspike

For arguments sake; can we not compare Blaine as a modern day version of Harry Houdini?
Personal feelings of his mental state aside, what makes him any different from those guys back then? Sure today (yes, I agree, he MUST do it partly for da $$$$) the media coverage is more in your face and ubiqious, but back then (no I wasn't there lol!!) it was just a bigger deal to watch the dudes go over the Niagra in a barrel as it is watching Blaine today.

History re-invents itself but really nothing changes.

red_infinity:
I still think what he did was amazing. I don't understand why people would think he's an idiot. Why don't YOU try staying in water for a week straight and then trying to beat the breath hold record while in chains? THEN talk about him being an idiot and whatnot. :wink:

No reflection on you red_infinity, but I think your words support the original contention! I don't know if the man is an "idiot," but I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to try some of the stuff I've heard about just to gain fame.

So many worshippers.

To get a world record approved you have to have the organization who monitors the record set up the parameters for your attempt. He set up everything himself. What was he breathing while in the bowl? Do you think it may have been pure O2 or something to enhance his attempt? We'll never know because HE set it up.

He is an illusionist and a very good one at that.

Why don't I try the same things he does so I can talk about him?

I don't need to try those things and I get to talk about him anyway :)

Hey, let me know how much he made and I'll do it. The problem I have with some of these shows like Fear Factor is that these people make peanuts for what they have to do. I'm sure Blaine made far more than that. As Bill said, fame is not the reason.

@ Dear Leader. He used a catheter and was on a liquid diet.

Idiot... I think not.

They guy got paid $250,000 (US Dollars) off of this "stunt" - I'd say - he's pretty clever.

I'd do a number of idiotic things for 1/4 million.

On the web...

The smell of defeat and humiliation goes away quite quickly with the thought of the cool millions that David Blaine probably made, despite failing to hold his breath for nearly 9 minutes on Monday night.

The stuntman / illusionist spent a week submerged within an 8-foot snowglobe in NYC, inflincting untold pain on his body and becoming a human prune. But, hey, how many people can say they've done that?

Let us focus on the positive!

Sure, he didn't liive up to his hype and his next special will probably be watched by less people. So, he's the Tom Cruise of magicians. But, hey, he's rich!

I'm not sure any amount of money is worth risking your health or life. True he had medics on hand, but you don't know what will happen when you get that close to stepping off the edge of the world. Sometimes all the treatment in the world just doesn't work. Now I hear he may have liver damage. Man, thats screwed up. I won't go so far as to call him an idiot, I think he knew exactly what he was doing. I do think he took a risk that I would never take though. Who knows, maybe I have more to live for.

drbill:
No reflection on you red_infinity, but I think your words support the original contention! I don't know if the man is an "idiot," but I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to try some of the stuff I've heard about just to gain fame.

Haha, it didn't come out as I planned :11doh:

In any case, I think what he did is pretty cool, and he made some big bucks! :D

Like many people though, I wouldn't do it...there's no way I can hold my breath for as long as he did, nor would I like to stay in water for a week. Props to him for doing it.

Back
Top Bottom