Blasted airlines, always making it tougher!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This whole hysteria over straws is silly. It's a feel-good measure that has virtually zero impact on ocean garbage. Over 90% of which comes from Asia.

What harm is it? It diverts attention from things that would be far more effective. If you're really concerned about the environment, cancel your next dive trip. The emissions from the jet plane are worth a couple million straws.

Chop sticks?

It used to really bother me every time I'd have to go through the ordeal of getting a smog test for my car, and then watch the Space Shuttle launch. It really made it all seem pointless. At least in Hawai'i they realize they can't compete with the volcanoes.

I figure I'd better get in all my trips now why I still can. It seems like sooner or later they will have to ban jets, along with a lot of other things.

This whole hysteria over straws is silly. It's a feel-good measure that has virtually zero impact on ocean garbage. Over 90% of which comes from Asia.

What harm is it? It diverts attention from things that would be far more effective. If you're really concerned about the environment, cancel your next dive trip. The emissions from the jet plane are worth a couple million straws.
All too often my paper straw goes into a Styrofoam cup with a plastic lid, so yeah it's only a step. I took my case into a nice restaurant last week with the kids, grandkid, and our foreign students, distributed, and asked the waiter to take the wrapped plastic straws back. My son-in-law mentioned that they should get into recycling. My eyes rolled, and I thought "I've been telling them that for years."

They like the 12 oz plastic water bottles on our camping trips - when my daughter does the food shopping but asks me to take care of water & soda needs, but I refuse to buy those. I bring gallon jugs of water as I like that they often enjoy good tasting water instead of sodas, and I've given them each reusable vacuum bottles. I always save the jugs and the soda cans that still get used for recycling, but they've never gotten interested. Still hoping.

Unless the jet lands in the ocean then it's not the same. Sure, pollution in general, I get your point.

Plastic straws are one of the starting points to make us cognizant of the damage single use plastics cause. Even Dandy knows that, which I'm assuming is why he's going with paper straws.

Do some googling on plastic straws. Check for videos of death and injury to sea animals.

Consider what is happening in our oceans due to plastics.

Reefhound

Did you see any straws in those videos? It's plastic bottles and utensils that are the primary problem. I didn't advocate ignoring the problem of plastic, I pointed out the silliness of targeting one micro-percentage component of it.

Did you see any straws in those videos? It's plastic bottles and utensils that are the primary problem. I didn't advocate ignoring the problem of plastic, I pointed out the silliness of targeting one micro-percentage component of it.

So, if 90% comes from the other side of the world, this is the other 10%?

So, you didn't see any straws floating around, hunh? Maybe they're all stuck up some poor turtle's nose.

Have you ever been to India? There’s more plastic trash in the river beds than there is flowing water....it’s an amazingly sad sight to see....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom