Bleaching and "El niño" 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello.

This el niño is being very hot and I'm worried about the coral reef in The Maldives. Is the coral reef bleaching more this year?

Thank you

Best regards

I visited maldives mid June this year and so far no bleaching and water 83-84 degrees. But on many reefs there is not much to bleach, corals have not recovered from past events. And also they will experience warmest water later this year, August through October

Thank you. I have been 4 times but this time is the first for my girlfriend so I want to know if it is a good time to go.

I enjoyed it in June. Although it was a beginning of rainy season but it was dry with good vis. Are you planning to go now or after monsoon is over? Corals are not the main attraction in Maldives anyway, but I did see few nice coral spots mainly on top of some thilas. I heard complains about wind and visibility during peak of monsoon season.

@the_masked_diver

The water temp is only a piece of this. Where in the Maldives were you thinking of going? We've been in the Maldives 3 times in the last 2 years. Vastly prefer Laamu or the Baa Atoll over any of the central atolls (where some of the reefs aren't looking nearly as healthy).

Thanks for your answer.

We are planning to make this route with Emperor voyager

Rasdhoo Atoll: Hammerhead Dive, Beautiful Reef with Pelagics
North Ari Atoll: Grey Reef Sharks, Maaya Thila Night Dive, Multiple Manta Cleaning Stations
South Ari Atoll: Whalesharks, Beautiful Pinnacles
South Male Atoll: Grey Reef Sharks, Eagle Rays, Other Pelagics, Beautiful Macro Wreck
Vaavu Atoll: Grey Reef Sharks, Eagle Rays, Other Pelagics, Traditional Maldivian Channel Diving
North Male Atoll: Beautiful Pinnacles

Back
Top Bottom