Diving in Maldives impacted by El Niño?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madacub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any idea if the diving (ie fish life, mainly big fish life) has been impacted by the El Niño this year? For eg, in the north, mid or (particularly for my interest) in the far south? Thanks in advance.

I was on a liveaboard December 23-30 on central route. It was my first time so I can’t compare but the diving was awesome. Lots of sharks and mantas. We also saw a whale shark and diving was overall great. Very fishy, great soft coral. It may have messed with the weather. Should’ve been more dry and sunny when we were there but there was a storm that was stuck over southern India but didn’t affect the diving too much besides a very rough crossing back to Male.

Hi ScubaNYC16, thanks for the reply, and sorry for not acknowledging earlier. I did not receive the usual email notification, and I have been travelling so not checked in for a while. That's good to know, thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a good trip.....

I was there in November further south and things looked normal underwater. What are the changes you expect to see UW with el-nino in effect? Both 2023 and 2024 are expected to be el-nino years but personally I wouldn’t worry about it much.

Hi Pearlman, "changes you *expect* to see" would be putting it a bit strongly. I was just enquiring. For example, in the Galapagos, earlier in 2023, they were fewer of hammerheads and the suggestion was that the warmer waters of the El Niño was the cause.

El Nino and La Nina relates to sea temperature in the Pacific Ocean. Maldives is in the Indian Ocean. There is an Indian Nino, but I don't think there is any correlation between the Pacific and Indian Ninos.

FWIW, for my dives at Fuvahmulah in February 2023 as well as February 2024, sea temperature was 28/29 Celcius in both years.

I was in central Maldives in December 2019, March 2021 & December 2023. Also in Deep South route in March 2021. I can’t tell the difference. They were all very fishy to me.

Central Maldives in December 2019

Central Maldives in March 2021

Fuvahmulah in March 2021

Central Maldives in December 2023

Thanks CWK & Dan. Maldives can be pretty expensive so I wanted to check things before going ahead. (My trip to the Galapagos was a bit of a disappointment in April 2023), Anyway, it's a moot point now for me, for this year anyway.....

I didn’t quite understand that document - which part is West Indian Ocean? Everything west of Indonesia? Or the Indian subcontinent?
During the positive phase of the IOD, the high temperatures along the coast of Africa cause heavy rains and droughts in Australia.
How can it bring both rains and drought in Australia? It’s either rains or drought ain’t it?

Back
Top Bottom