Blocked sinuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiger shark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am halfway through my ow certification and scheduled to due my ow dives sept. 27th. I hardly ever have any issues with my sinuses and during my pool sessions I was able to equalize my ears just fine. My sinuses were so blocked after last weekends pool sessions that I went to my doctor on the 16 th about the problem. I will say that people in this area are experiencing cold like symtoms and also the flu! My doctor is an active, certified diver and he treated me for a sinus infection. I recieved a shot and I am currently taking antibotics. I told my doctor that prior to starting my training I had begun using Neilmed saline nasal rinse. He said that was fine, and that alot of people do that. He also said prior to the dive that he often uses sudafed nasal spray which helps his sinuses to stay clear. My sinuses were alittle congested when I began my pool training sessions, so I used the sudafed spray. After both weekend sessions my sinuses seem to get blocked, but were extremely blocked after this last pool session. My questions are: The little bit of water that got in my nose during my skills training was swimming pool water, which contains a considerable amout of cholrine. Could this cause my problem? Could the sudafed have caused a reaction? Today is the 18th and my sinuses are better but still have a burning sensation and I still have some congestion. I am hoping for this to clear up before next weekends ow dives. Thank you for any answers or advice that you may have!!!

I'd check out getting a neti pot to wash your sinus's out. I use to have a problem with sinusitis, after using a neti pot regularly It cured the problem. Now I just use it every so often or if I get blocked up. I use a spoonful of kosher, non-iodised salt. Here's a link ... Neti Pot Instructions ... Try this out for awhile and see if that clears you out. Walgreens use to sell a kit. You can order a nice copper, ceramic, or stainless pot online.

If you have some degree of obstruction in your sinuses, descending and ascending will make the lining of the sinuses swell and may even cause bleeding, leading to worsened congestion after diving. This frequently causes pain as well, but if they do equalize but slowly, you can have little pain and still make your problems worse.

I would continue the therapy as prescribed by your doctor, and I would not dive this coming weekend unless you feel as though all of the congestion has cleared.

My sinuses were alittle congested when I began my pool training sessions, so I used the sudafed spray. After both weekend sessions my sinuses seem to get blocked, but were extremely blocked after this last pool session. My questions are: The little bit of water that got in my nose during my skills training was swimming pool water, which contains a considerable amout of cholrine. Could this cause my problem? Could the sudafed have caused a reaction? Today is the 18th and my sinuses are better but still have a burning sensation and I still have some congestion. I am hoping for this to clear up before next weekends ow dives. Thank you for any answers or advice that you may have!!!

A few quick points -

1) I second the idea of using a Neti-Pot.... NeilMed makes a great, cheap one that I keep in my office to give out to patients: NeilMed NetiPot

2) I doubt that pool water would have caused much of a reaction.

3) I'm not sure what spray you are using, but there are two types of decongestant sprays (leaving aside allergy medicines such as nasal steroids and spray anthistamines) - long acting oxymetazoline (e.g. Afrin) or short acting phenylephrine (e.g. Dristan). Many companies now make both types, so don't just look at the brand name... Both of these, but especially oxymetazoline, can be addictive. They can cause a condition called rhinitis medicamentosa in which prolonged use (more than three days) results in a "rebound" effect, where the nose is more congested than before once they wear off, requiring more spray, etc... This is usually treated with nasal steroids while getting off of the decongestant spray...

4) I agree (as always!) with what TSandM said..

:)

Good luck!

Mike

A few quick points -

1) I second the idea of using a Neti-Pot.... NeilMed makes a great, cheap one that I keep in my office to give out to patients: NeilMed NetiPot

2) I doubt that pool water would have caused much of a reaction.

3) I'm not sure what spray you are using, but there are two types of decongestant sprays (leaving aside allergy medicines such as nasal steroids and spray anthistamines) - long acting oxymetazoline (e.g. Afrin) or short acting phenylephrine (e.g. Dristan). Many companies now make both types, so don't just look at the brand name... Both of these, but especially oxymetazoline, can be addictive. They can cause a condition called rhinitis medicamentosa in which prolonged use (more than three days) results in a "rebound" effect, where the nose is more congested than before once they wear off, requiring more spray, etc... This is usually treated with nasal steroids while getting off of the decongestant spray...

4) I agree (as always!) with what TSandM said..

:)

Good luck!

Mike
The active ingredient in the nasal spray I used was oxymetazoline. I did not us it but a couple of days, but the second day I used it more than once. After reading your comments I am sure this definetly caused my congested sinuses to get alot worse than they already were!!! I believe that the antibiotics have worked to clear me up and I have started using the Nelimed nasal rinse. Thank you so much for your advice. Is there any type of spray or medication that can be taken if you are slightly congested prior to diving?

The active ingredient in the nasal spray I used was oxymetazoline. I did not us it but a couple of days, but the second day I used it more than once. After reading your comments I am sure this definetly caused my congested sinuses to get alot worse than they already were!!! I believe that the antibiotics have worked to clear me up and I have started using the Nelimed nasal rinse. Thank you so much for your advice. Is there any type of spray or medication that can be taken if you are slightly congested prior to diving?

Good, I'm glad that my post was helpful!

You can use the occasional spray of oxymetazoline if you are REALLY clogged up, but remember that it can wear off and you don't want to time it so that you end up worse at depth, and having to deal with a reverse sinus block (I have had that, NOT fun!). Some people use oral decongestants as well, but the same cautions apply.

Try using the neti pot regularly in the days before a dive... you might feel a lot better and not need to use a decongestant at all. If your congestion is chronic, you might want to see an ENT doc or an allergist to see about something like a nasal steroid spray..

Good luck!

Mike

+1 ... Use the neti pot for awhile(month) regulary. I used it pretty much everyday when I first started, did wonders. Now I use it when I get plugged up, which is almost never, or every once in while to just wash out all the dust, smoke or what ever I've spent time around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom