blocking internal flash for macro shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a DX 2G with a new YS-110a strobe, which I have only used on land so far. I have noticed that if I block the internal flash it can dramatically affect the exposure and lighting direction when shooting macro. While this can sometimes help, it generally reduces the effect of the 110a side or "halo" lighting. I am aware that there is a fiberoptic adapter, which will mask the internal flash, though it fits fine without it.(I am looking for where I put it). I would assume that underwater that the influence of the internal flash is reduced, and may not be a concern. Any thoughts or experience with this underwater?

Last edited:
If you have any developed film that was unexposed prior to processing (looks rosy, not black), tape this over the internal flash using electrical tape. It will block visible light affecting backscatter, but the wavelength of light that passes will trigger the strobe.

I have a DX 2G with a new YS-110a strobe, which I have only used on land so far. I have noticed that if I block the internal flash it can dramatically affect the exposure and lighting direction when shooting macro. While this can sometimes help, it generally reduces the effect of the 110a side or "halo" lighting. I am aware that there is a fiberoptic adapter, which will mask the internal flash, though it fits fine without it.(I am looking for where I put it). I would assume that underwater that the influence of the internal flash is reduced, and may not be a concern. Any thoughts or experience with this underwater?

Ummm... not really following you... if you're shooting with an external strobe, block the internal with the fiber optic adapter. That's what you should be doing if you want the benefits of external strobes. On camera strobe is a last resort... forced choice if you haven't spent the extra dough on external strobes. Once you have an external strobe you should want to ditch the on camera one, the only use for the on camera strobe after buying an external one is to set off the external one through the fiber optic connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom