Blood in Plagm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkfin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post here, and i got a problem.

I always have blood in my plagm immediately after surfacing during every single dive.
it is not a lot but enough to turn the plagm bloody. It will last for about 5mins. during which i have a lots of plagm in my lungs and throat, which i kept spiting out.

I consulted my family doctor about this but he doesn't seems to know what's wrong. I am a smoker in my early twenties and serving in the military.

Does anybody know what could be the cause, or does anybody have this problem?

Hope to hear from somebody soon. It's freaking me out. And until I know whats going on, I don't think I will be diving soon.

Howdy sharkfin:

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Blood in the phlegm (mucus of the respiratory tract) after diving often signals a barotrauma injury. Sinus barotrauma frequently leads to divers finding blood in their mask on ascent, but if the bloody mucus drains down the throat they can find blood in their "spit". Sinus barotrauma often is no more than a minor annoyance, but it can become a significant problem.

Pulmonary (lung) barotrauma would be a very serious source for blood in the lungs and throat. Pulmonary barotrauma is a source for pneumomediastinum/subcutaneous emphysema (gas loose in the tissues), pneumothorax (collapsed lung), and arterial gas embolism.

Some people can find blood in their sputum from breathing dry air and having irritated mucous membranes, over vigorous nose-pinching during equalization, or other non-barotrauma related injuries but these causes would be less likely and would probably not occur on every dive.

Divers who believe they may be suffering repeated episodes of sinus barotrauma should seek a medical evaluation from a physician knowledgeable about sinuses and diving before further diving. Divers who believe they may have suffered pulmonary barotrauma have a possible medical emergency and should seek immediate medical attention after diving. If they recognize the signs and symptoms of pulmonary barotrauma later and have suffered no ill effects they should certainly have a thorough pulmonary evaluation prior to any further diving.

Hope this helps,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Woah, thanx for your speedy and professional reply, Bill.

Will be consulting a doctor soon.

Thanx again.
Peace out.

Make Love Not War.

I had a student years ago that had this same problem. I referred him to an ENT with some knowledge of diving to get clearance b4 letting him continue in the class. He came back from the doc with a signed medical release. The doc indicated that he had several small blood vessels very close to the surface in his nose and sinues and he was experiencing a mild form of sinus barotrauma. He learned over time that with proper ear clearing management and paying better attention to the status of his ear pressure, the problem became virtually non-existent. When he cleared early and often on descent and kept his ears clear he came up with a clear mask. If he let the pressure build he came up with blood in his mask. Good luck and go see a good ENT that knows something about diving.

The Pirate. :pirate:

sharkfin once bubbled...
Thanx for sharing, Just wondering what's an ENT?
An ear, nose and throat doc. The best kind of doc to go to for diving related ear and sinus problems.

The Pirate :pirate:

Bloody nose/blood in mask (not a lot)

And bloody phlem, made me sick to my stomach once. I am not generally "phlemmy" either.

I just found out I have a polyp in my sinus cavity. Not sure what is next but wonder if that was part of the problem... I'll keep you posted if you are interested in the findings.

Back
Top Bottom