using MCH6 for continues blending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is the first time I heard that Coltri suggests more frequent oil changes when pumping Nitrox.
The oil is the evidence of the damage you are causing and the lack of evidence when you dump it out and replace it with fresh you cover over and hide the damage you're causing. Please Think about it.

Furthermore not for the first time scuba folk rock up with a new but seized scuba compressor
with absolutely fresh spotless and clean oil filled to the top of the oil level mark
The question is why and how does this just happened.

By contrast ask yourself why an oil lubricated 12 CFM 3000psi high pressure pure oxygen compressor
for filling the large medical oxygen cylinders runs 24/7 for 5000 hours happily without an oil change.
And the oil is only around $40 for a 5 litre Steel UN drum of the stuff for the 3.5 litre crankcase sump.

Interesting stuff when you dig deeper

This is written on both the compressor manual and the compressor oil. Both clearly stated “Designed to be used below 40% Nitrox”. I will shoot you a picture once I got home.
Thanks that would be interesting.
Stating Designed to be used below 40% is not the same as designed for 40%

The consideration this would be similar to that of cylinders being designed for 3000 psi (Service Pressure)
But in order for it to be designed for 3000 psi it is required to be designed to be able to be tested periodically to around 5/3 of that pressure 5000 psi (Hydraulic test pressure)

Again I would ask them all what did they test to and why all the bullcrap and why are they not telling you the damage this causes to an air compressor designed for air when used running an elevated oxygen concentration.

Its just a question

Yes........A label.
Oh thank goodness.. I can print a label here and install it somewhere on the side😳🤣😜.. now I'm safe!

Oh thank goodness.. I can print a label here and install it somewhere on the side😳🤣😜.. now I'm safe!

No need to make one Rob. I made a little red one for you earlier LOL :shakehead:

IMG_1483.jpeg

No need to make one Rob. I made a little red one for you earlier LOL :shakehead:

View attachment 799914
Now if I could just find a way on your good side long enough to get a video of the heads being stripped down.. my life would be complete!!🤣🤣🤣

Now if I could just find a way on your good side long enough to get a video of the heads being stripped down.. my life would be complete!!🤣🤣🤣

Sounds easy enough. I shall ask our chief engineer in the dinosaur jacket
What could possibly go wrong. :oops:

IMG_0047.jpeg

Please read again and carefully your statement above from the manufacturer Coltri for the MCH 6 and ask yourself these three simple questions.

1. What part of non breathable gases do you not fully understand.
2. What part of for industrial use such as is not fully understood.
3. What part of any other use is inappropriate is again not fully understood
Unfortunately Coltri has been fairly poor in their wording with their owner manuals, in my eyes since forever.

From another passage from the same manual:
DANGER: The compressor may be used together with Nitrox mixers up to a maximum of 40% oxygen and only with certified systems that feature an alarm system and that prevent the introduction of oxygen percentages above the permitted maximum and/or incorrect mixes.
IMPORTANT: AEROTECNICA COLTRI compressors provide breathable air at high pressure in compliance with EN12021 air quality requisites.

High pressure compressor for breathing air and technical gases.
Compatible process gases:
- Nitrogen
- Helium
- Nitrox 40% max O2

You may rightfully make a distinction between certain gases and their application, say medical oxygen and industrial oxygen. There is distinction to be made, but if that is of interest for the diver who mixes something in his shed is debatable. The medical O2 would surely be preferable, but thousands of people use industrial O2 for the same purpose. I have worked in countries where there is not even a distinction being made. This is not ideal, but tradeoffs are commonplace as places catch up with higher standards.

Similar, making a distinction between industrial Nitrox and breathable Nitrox is not wrong. Several industrial processes use O2 enriched air and that gas may well not conform to say BS EN 12021-2014 if we would talk about he European sector. Maybe Coltri doesn't meet the required standards in a certain sector to not make that industrial distinction. I do not know if this is the case.

Breathable air as per BS EN 12021-2014:
ComponentConcentration at 1013 mbar and 20 °C
Oxygen(21 ± 1) %
Carbon dioxide≤ 500 ml/m³ (ppm)
Carbon monoxide≤ 5 ml/m³ (ppm)
Oil≤ 0,5 mg/m³

Breathable composition of nitrogen depleted air and oxygen enriched air as per BS EN 12021-2014:
ComponentConcentration at 1013 mbar and 20 °C
Oxygen(Stated ± 1,0) %
Carbon dioxide≤ 500 ml/m³ (ppm)
Carbon monoxide≤ 5 ml/m³ (ppm)
Oil≤ 0,1 mg/m³

The distinction between those two is the amount of acceptable oil level.

You are not wrong in pointing out the mentioning of industrial in their manual. I believe that your statement may mislead people into thinking that their compressor is not suitable for mixing Nitrox, when in reality it is perfectly capable of doing so. If it then adheres to a certain standard with regards to gas purity is another question.
At some stage we are arguing over semantics. As so many things in diving, it is a matter of personal risk acceptance.

I would love for everyone to have a Bauer B-Membrane system, as that is state of the art equipment for dive centre use right now. But that doesn't mean that a cheaper, less sophisticated system can't be used while at the same time, accepting the shortcomings of that cheaper system.

I know a guy that farms out all the component manufacture then assembles the membrane system in house

I should get to know him better

Ha ha ha ha ha, build it and they will come, or go.

Sounds easy enough. I shall ask our chief engineer in the dinosaur jacket
What could possibly go wrong. :oops:

View attachment 799939
I'd hire him!! He's already ahead of the game. You have any idea how hard it is to get a worker to pick up tools in the states? And he wore boots to work... better then 90% already!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom