Blow or not to blow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, that's Buddy Dive....I would even bet it's breakfast time.

Yep...I recognized that spot right away also. You can clearly see Klein Bonaire on the background.

It will also probably be 2009 before we can go back.

Thanks for all the thoughtful inputs. I am now going to stop this bad habit.
Another thought did occur to me though. Assuming water in the first stage is bad, why aren't "ALL" regulators designed so that you can't get water in there in the first place? All it would take would be a simple spring and check valve.

Yep...I recognized that spot right away also. You can clearly see Klein Bonaire on the background.

It will also probably be 2009 before we can go back.

My only regret is that I never got around to trying the monkey bologna, that was so kewl. Maybe next time.

Another thought did occur to me though. Assuming water in the first stage is bad, why aren't "ALL" regulators designed so that you can't get water in there in the first place? All it would take would be a simple spring and check valve.

I'm not sure. It could be patents or cost avoidance or some would consider it to be more parts hence more to go wrong. Brands often have long standing designs that they are known for and are hesitant to revamp. It's not at all vital for safe diving and not everyone is into the belt and suspenders approach.

Pete

A good dust cap is simple, and if properly used it is water proof and very effective.

I know Aqua Lung and Oceanic (and maybe others may have it) are offering self closing first stage air inlet. Personally I think it is a bad idea. I think it is going to give a very false sense of security. If you don’t use a dust cap with those devices you can easily contaminate the connection interface with water, salt, etc. If the interface is not clean and dry, the next time you connect the regulator to a tank you will push all the contaminants right into the regulator.

History will tell, but IMHO, I think this is another great idea that in the future we will remember it like the self locking pneumatic yoke in the Scubapro Mk-6.

A good dust cap is simple, and if properly used it is water proof and very effective.

I know Aqua Lung and Oceanic (and maybe others may have it) are offering self closing first stage air inlet. Personally I think it is a bad idea. I think it is going to give a very false sense of security. If you don’t use a dust cap with those devices you can easily contaminate the connection interface with water, salt, etc. If the interface is not clean and dry, the next time you connect the regulator to a tank you will push all the contaminants right into the regulator.

History will tell, but IMHO, I think this is another great idea that in the future we will remember it like the self locking pneumatic yoke in the Scubapro Mk-6.

I dive an Oceanic with their "dry valve technology" It's not meant to replace a dustcap, it's some additional protection. It works, too

I dive an Oceanic with their "dry valve technology" It's not meant to replace a dustcap, it's some additional protection. It works, too

No doubt that if it gets splashed with salt water it will prevent water entry. However as this dries to brine and then salt crystals who's to say that they get cleaned away before the next usage carries this contamination into the regulator?

I understand how it is supposed to work. I just think that some people are going to over estimate its "additional protection" and going to abuse it and in the end it will backfire.

Just my opinion... like I said: history will tell if in practice it works out to be effective or not.

Designing a mechanism is easy. Designing a mechanism that is foolproof is close to impossible. Fools are very clever at screwing up any mechanism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom