Blown Ascent Rates and Somersalts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m a frisky diver: diving style has been compared to a seal. When I look at my logged dives in my Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus (now Pro plus 2), it usually shows a blown ascent rate, despite the fact I creep pretty slowly up the water column on actual ascent. Recently in the pool I thought, well standards have changed (60 feet per min to 30 feet per min above 30 feet, maybe I AM coming up too fast. So I inched up watching the ascent rate meter and it didn’t show any marks. Later looking at the log—totally blown ascent rate, in the red and flashing. Huh? But then I remembered I was somersaulting into my BC at the bottom (doff/don exercise) and I wondered if it could be that. Also if I bring my console rapidly up to look at it, could that do it? Anyone else have this problem?

Depending on the computer, you are making it very unhappy and it might bite you. Penalizing the fast ascent by reducing your NDL.

Swinging an arm or console is all it takes for some models. I can't speak specifically for yours.

Scooter somersaults makes mine unhappy too. Backrolls it frowns upon as well.

Cameron

Are you pretty good about dumping your air proactively as you ascend and staying ahead of that so that you go at a steady rate?

Are you pretty good about dumping your air proactively as you ascend and staying ahead of that so that you go at a steady rate?
Yes, if anything I ascend a little negative, but at the bottom since I’m an active swimmer, and love to get upside down and look under stuff and hie here and there it can get pretty saw-toothy. I just don’t want to be doing anything unsafe. I think that ascent rate monitor is pretty sensitive on that computer perhaps?

Yes, if anything I ascend a little negative, but at the bottom since I’m an active swimmer, and love to get upside down and look under stuff and hie here and there it can get pretty saw-toothy. I just don’t want to be doing anything unsafe. I think that ascent rate monitor is pretty sensitive on that computer perhaps?

Likely.
Swing your arm next dive and observe it freak out.

Depending on the computer, you are making it very unhappy and it might bite you. Penalizing the fast ascent by reducing your NDL.

Swinging an arm or console is all it takes for some models. I can't speak specifically for yours.

Scooter somersaults makes mine unhappy too. Backrolls it frowns upon as well.

Cameron
Glad to hear I’m not the only frisky diver raising a computer’s eyebrow. My computer is DSAT so no complaints on NDL. My dives used to end on cold in California. Now it might be on a male buddy’s gas (not bragging I am just a petite female... my cave diver female friend who hangs in the water like she’s pinned there breathes less)

Hi @aquacat8

Download your dives and you can see exactly where you exceeded the ascent rate. I don't think you need to exceed the rate for very long to get dinged. I'll upload a graphic tomorrow if I can remember. Oceanic is very touchy. I don't worry too much about it

I’m a frisky diver: diving style has been compared to a seal.

Then dive that way, without the compressed air that seals also don't use. Free diving looks pretty cool...if you have the patience.

Hi @aquacat8

Download your dives and you can see exactly where you exceeded the ascent rate. I don't think you need to exceed the rate for very long to get dinged. I'll upload a graphic tomorrow if I can remember. Oceanic is very touchy. I don't worry too much about it
Oh dear I have no idea how to download dive, and I’m on a Mac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom