Blown Ascent Rates and Somersalts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then dive that way, without the compressed air that seals also don't use. Free diving looks pretty cool...if you have the patience.
Too bad freediving alone is so verboten... I already ocean swim alone, a lot of it underwater. My ex coined a term for it “Deep Swimming”... not quite freediving but more than swimming and not really snorkeling. HaHa I went freediving with the Northern California Abalone divers just at the point hyperventilating was no longer being recommended. First they taught me how, then they said oh now it’s no longer recommended.

Now people act like if your fins disappear beneath the surface without a buddy watching you’re going to immediately DIE. Please. Sure we did one up, one down... which meant one up wondering when the the heck the one down was ever going to surface, or where. You lost sight of them right away in that green water with all that kelp. And yes some died, but a lot got old and ate a lot of abalone.

Too bad freediving alone is so verboten... I already ocean swim alone, a lot of it underwater. My ex coined a term for it “Deep Swimming”... not quite freediving but more than swimming and not really snorkeling.

Been freediving solo for 40 something years, never hyperventilate, and I like the Deep Swimming monicker. I guess I've been doing it and didn't even know.

More time underwater freediving comes with a price, and I decided to make more dives instead of longer. Never cared about records anyway.

Bob

Been freediving solo for 40 something years, never hyperventilate, and I like the Deep Swimming monicker. I guess I've been doing it and didn't even know.

More time underwater freediving comes with a price, and I decided to make more dives instead of longer. Never cared about records anyway.

Bob
I’m sure you know that hyperventilating puts you at an increased risk for shallow water blackout... I would never recommend it to anyone reading this, I’m just pointing out how things change. Like 60 feet per min is now 30 feet per minute for a scuba ascent rate, and I guess the tables have shortened too. I only learned that stuff on the internet, I’m sure there are divers out there going by the old rules.

According to the manual, my humble Puck Pro activates an ascent alarm when 30 ft/min is exceeded, but only registers an ascent violation if you exceed 40 ft/min for "two thirds or more of the depth at which the alarm was first triggered." Seems rather liberal. I wonder how this compares with other, more sophisticated DCs.

I download to my Mac using the $25 MacDive. Easy and fun.

Last edited:
I’m sure you know that hyperventilating puts you at an increased risk for shallow water blackout... I would never recommend it to anyone reading this, I’m just pointing out how things change. Like 60 feet per min is now 30 feet per minute for a scuba ascent rate, and I guess the tables have shortened too. I only learned that stuff on the internet, I’m sure there are divers out there going by the old rules.

That's why I don't, and never did, hyperventilate while freediving, I'm planning on dying of old age, not drowning. My personal opinion is that serious, hyperventilating, freediving needs instruction as much, if not more, than SCUBA.

I've watched things change over the past 50+ years of diving. After diving for 17 years, many dives considered technical now, I certified OW to insure my air supply. I used the old Navy tables till '09 or so when I finally bought a computer, and I'm finally getting used to 30 fpm and a safety stop. The easiest to get used to was the BC and SPG. The biggest change is the idea that everyone can be a diver, I'm skeptical.

Bob

Hyperventilating when freediving is out period, especially with serious freedivers, it was just wrong to do, but it used to be done. Lucky you never did!

That's why I don't, and never did, hyperventilate while freediving, I'm planning on dying of old age, not drowning. My personal opinion is that serious, hyperventilating, freediving needs instruction as much, if not more, than SCUBA.

I've watched things change over the past 50+ years of diving. After diving for 17 years, many dives considered technical now, I certified OW to insure my air supply. I used the old Navy tables till '09 or so when I finally bought a computer, and I'm finally getting used to 30 fpm and a safety stop. The easiest to get used to was the BC and SPG. The biggest change is the idea that everyone can be a diver, I'm skeptical.

Bob
The idea that anyone can be a diver, even people who are scared of the water, scares ME!

Oh dear I have no idea how to download dive, and I’m on a Mac.
If you have a cable for your computer, or if it has bluetooth/BLE, try Subsurface (free) or MacDive (not free). They are in general not hard to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom