Blown Ascent Rates and Somersalts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scooter somersaults makes mine unhappy too. Backrolls it frowns upon as well.
Cameron

Snap!

I'm always getting ascent alarms on my scooter, but I mitigate them by extending my SS and generally hanging out above 14m for the last 20 mins of the dive - especially if I'm buzzing my fave swim throughs down at the mid 40m's:)

It’s true all computers will sense changes in depth at a rapid pace- every two seconds in our case. But how that information is handled, and what triggers an ascent warning, is up to the computer’s designers.

In the Cobalt we use an algorithm that looks at the time and distance over which the ascent rate has been exceeded, and the proximity to the surface, where the change in pressure is greatest, to determine if an ascent rate warning is given. This is to eliminate triggering an ascent rate warning or violation for a momentary sudden movement, or at a depth where the actual change in pressure is negligible. Using an algorithmic approach like this (for all of the 100’s of things a diver can do, not just ascent alarms) is harder to program and get right than just using a simple change in depth over time, but it does provide a better user experience.

Ron

@Johnoly may I ask, since you used the same computer, do you ever experience mysterious blown ascent rates in the log, looking after the dive, even though during ascent you did not crack the ascent rate? That is what I see, and that’s why I was wondering about hand movements and somersaults.

I think I probably dive a lot like you, twisting and turning, and following the contours of the bottom. I also dive Oceanic, and don't believe I've ever come to the surface without an ascent error. I've often tried to exercise a little self control, but so far it hasn't worked. Oh well.

I think I probably dive a lot like you, twisting and turning, and following the contours of the bottom. I also dive Oceanic, and don't believe I've ever come to the surface without an ascent error. I've often tried to exercise a little self control, but so far it hasn't worked. Oh well.
Divers are like fish: some are quiet and hide in rocky cracks, some school in groups, some wriggle like eels, and some, like @REVAN are pelagic swift swimmers.

I have an Oceanic Geo 2.0 and an Oceanic Pro Plus 3. The ascent rate indicator in both are equally super-sensitive... to the point that I don't believe them. It's one of my few complaints with my Oceanic dive computers. It's rare that my Oceanic dive logs show a max ascent rate other than maxed full. A year or two ago I bought a Perdix. I don't have ascent rate indicator issues with it and I don't believe I've ever had an ascent rate warning with it.

Cheers,

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom