Blue Angel dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, Look for Rockstar Divers
As best I remember it was La Perla when I considered buying it during negotiations with Javier, but not my cup of tea with road traffic, and questionable beach access (for I was not a Mexican citizen then). My X girl friend then talked my X wife into buying it and they renamed it "Hotel Lorena". I don't remember the years. During the same time frame I was in negotiating with Pam of Blue Angel Divers which operated out of the basement across the street, mainly to get a dock for the emerging Aldora Divers. That also fell thru because Pam's crew did not want to work for my partner Memo Mendoza. How Blue Angel merged into the hotel I don't know, as by then I was able, as a Mexican, to build the downtown Aldora Pier and open the Villa Aldora..that is a whole other story by itself!

Dave Dillehay

As best I remember it was La Perla when I considered buying it during negotiations with Javier...
If you were talking with Javier about buying it, it was indeed La Perla.

Is Lorraine or Arlene your ex? The Lorena / La Reina years were... interesting. :D

Haven't been back to Coz since pre-pandemic. Used to use Blue XTSea and our favorite DM Pedro Pablo, picked up at the BA Pier. I know he's at Blue Project now but they do not pick up north of the Marina so we'd have to drive/cab there every day

Going back with a group of 7 or 8 in November, and we're looking at using the in house op. I know that comes with unlimited shore diving, we always did a few when we were there so that would be a bit of a plus.

Most divers have 20 + years. highly experienced, most north of 1000 dives per and some well over that. But no real divas or very demanding folks. All pretty much looking at it like a chill trip and have all dived Coz a lot.

Any reviews or opinions of the op? Looks like they get fairly decent marks online

Thanks!
I think Adora Divers is the best operation.

If you were talking with Javier about buying it, it was indeed La Perla.

Is Lorraine or Arlene your ex? The Lorena / La Reina years were... interesting. :D
YES, LORENA/LORRAINE WAS MY FIRST X WIFE WITH 21 YEARS. ARLENE WAS MY SUBSEQUENT GIRLFRIEND WHO WAS WITH ME IN DISCUSSIONS WITH JAVIER. ONCE I RE MARRIED WITH A YOUNGER BEAUTIFUL WIFE IN 98…THE CLAWS CAME OUT! I THINK THEIR PURCHASE OF LA PERLA WAS SOMEWHAT A GET BACK. YES IT WAS AN INTERESTING TIME.

DAVE DILLEHAY

YES, LORENA/LORRAINE WAS MY FIRST X WIFE WITH 21 YEARS. ARLENE WAS MY SUBSEQUENT GIRLFRIEND WHO WAS WITH ME IN DISCUSSIONS WITH JAVIER. ONCE I RE MARRIED WITH A YOUNGER BEAUTIFUL WIFE IN 98…THE CLAWS CAME OUT! I THINK THEIR PURCHASE OF LA PERLA WAS SOMEWHAT A GET BACK. YES IT WAS AN INTERESTING TIME.

DAVE DILLEHAY
Lorraine and Arlene both are your exes? Wow, small world, or should I say, small island. :D

Yes, the period when Lorraine and Arlene ran the hotel and the short period after Lorraine left when Arlene had it by herself, from a long time customer's perspective, were "Interesting" to say the least. Things stabilized significantly when Alejandra and her dad took it over.

Lorraine and Arlene both are your exes? Wow, small world, or should I say, small island. :D

Yes, the period when Lorraine and Arlene ran the hotel and the short period after Lorraine left when Arlene had it by herself, from a long time customer's perspective, were "Interesting" to say the least. Things stabilized significantly when Alejandra and her dad took it over.
Sorry you had to endure that! Believe me, i suffered worse!

dave

Been staying there at least once a year since 2013 and I was a client of Pam's at the BA dive shop back in the late 80's when I worked on the cruise ships as a band leader.

We love the convenience of being able to roll out of bed and onto the boat after breakfast and although we have looked at staying elsewhere, we never seem to pull the trigger. I agree that the price has increased (perhaps because of demand) to a point where the rooms and grounds should be at a higher quality for the price charged. The food is great but expensive for Mx and besides breakfast (or lunch on 4 tank days), we eat most meals off campus - but that also means a 20 minute + walk to town or a cab ride. There are now two nice food choices across the street but their hours and days vary so be aware. The rooms are very spartan and can indeed be noisy from the road. Ear plugs and a travel fan to make some white noise are a plus as is keeping the bathroom door shut. After so many years as clients we are super comfortable with the setup, know what to expect, and are friends with many of the longtime staff. We do find ourselves diving a few days during our stay with other ops since people that used to work there own their own operations now and we enjoy spending time with them and giving them our business.

I would describe the accommodations as basic and diver friendly. No carpet, basic shower/toilet and rough hewn furniture with a nice patio and wooden racks for drying gear. Beds are on the firmer side but that seems consistent with Mx. The dive shop has two large rinse tanks and racks for wetsuits and they offer valet diving where you bring your gear to Alfredo the first day - he transports it to the boat and cleans it every day, and then prepares it for the trip home after your last dive. My gear never smells as good as when Alfredo has been on the case!!

The rooms are kept very clean in our experience so it may have rough edges visually but we never feel its dirty or overtly falling apart. There have been some interesting choices made as to what was upgraded (do we really need a fire pit in the caribbean?) and I would have updated the rooms and lounge furniture before I spent money anywhere else but hey- it's not my business!! We have not had any issues with being limited to shallow or beginner dives and they do their best to put similarly experienced groups together or sending extra DM's out on the boats to accommodate different skill levels. I don't think there are many options on Coz that offer the complete package of what the BA offers (water front, on site op, good food, music 5 nights a week, ease of use, friendly faces daily including many returning customers that also become buddies, dive masters who have become dear friends, no morning drive to the marina and decent length boat ride to the furthest sites). If I was taking a large group of hardcore divers I'd not hesitate to stay there. However, I'd make sure that everyone understands the drawbacks as to manage expectations. As everywhere there are lovers and haters and individual mileage may vary!

Been staying there at least once a year since 2013 and I was a client of Pam's at the BA dive shop back in the late 80's when I worked on the cruise ships as a band leader.

We love the convenience of being able to roll out of bed and onto the boat after breakfast and although we have looked at staying elsewhere, we never seem to pull the trigger. I agree that the price has increased (perhaps because of demand) to a point where the rooms and grounds should be at a higher quality for the price charged. The food is great but expensive for Mx and besides breakfast (or lunch on 4 tank days), we eat most meals off campus - but that also means a 20 minute + walk to town or a cab ride. There are now two nice food choices across the street but their hours and days vary so be aware. The rooms are very spartan and can indeed be noisy from the road. Ear plugs and a travel fan to make some white noise are a plus as is keeping the bathroom door shut. After so many years as clients we are super comfortable with the setup, know what to expect, and are friends with many of the longtime staff. We do find ourselves diving a few days during our stay with other ops since people that used to work there own their own operations now and we enjoy spending time with them and giving them our business.

I would describe the accommodations as basic and diver friendly. No carpet, basic shower/toilet and rough hewn furniture with a nice patio and wooden racks for drying gear. Beds are on the firmer side but that seems consistent with Mx. The dive shop has two large rinse tanks and racks for wetsuits and they offer valet diving where you bring your gear to Alfredo the first day - he transports it to the boat and cleans it every day, and then prepares it for the trip home after your last dive. My gear never smells as good as when Alfredo has been on the case!!

The rooms are kept very clean in our experience so it may have rough edges visually but we never feel its dirty or overtly falling apart. There have been some interesting choices made as to what was upgraded (do we really need a fire pit in the caribbean?) and I would have updated the rooms and lounge furniture before I spent money anywhere else but hey- it's not my business!! We have not had any issues with being limited to shallow or beginner dives and they do their best to put similarly experienced groups together or sending extra DM's out on the boats to accommodate different skill levels. I don't think there are many options on Coz that offer the complete package of what the BA offers (water front, on site op, good food, music 5 nights a week, ease of use, friendly faces daily including many returning customers that also become buddies, dive masters who have become dear friends, no morning drive to the marina and decent length boat ride to the furthest sites). If I was taking a large group of hardcore divers I'd not hesitate to stay there. However, I'd make sure that everyone understands the drawbacks as to manage expectations. As everywhere there are lovers and haters and individual mileage may vary!
Very good and fair review!

I keep thinking I should give a bad review, It's getting harder to get reservations! We have met Claire and Barbara there a few years back. They turned us on to La Perlita.
How do you like La Perlita compared to La Conchita del Caribe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom