Blue Angel Resort (Cozumel) vs. CoCoView (Roatan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Angel is better if you want a pool, beaches, nightlife and great restaurants to go try.
Are we talking about the same Blue Angel? There is no beach and the pool is quite small (see photo). The nightlife consisted of an acoustic guitar player who packed up around 10PM. That being said, I just booked another stay there in August. You stay at BA to dive - everything else is a nice bonus.

ba.jpg

I vote you go to Honduras!

I had my certification done in Roatan at Anemona divers on the west end. Never been to coco, BUT, its on the same island (opposite ends) and has to be just as beautiful on the east end. PLUS the panamerican reef is the worlds second largest, always great to see.

Being a Honduran (catracho) myself :D I do recommend any part of Roatan in general

I have been to both Blue Angel (last year) and CCV (a few years back). Looking at pricing and based on d.o., you can go to BA for a week for $740 and you would get 7 nights in an OF room, breakfast each day, and 5 days of 2-tank diving with unlimited shore diving. Going to CCV would cost right at $1475 for 7 nights OF, all meals, 2 boat dives a day (to different sites) with unlimited shore diving. I'm pretty sure getting to Roatan is going to cost several hundred more than Cozumel.

As far as the diving goes, I find the quality of the diving itself to be better in Cozumel. I had not gone to Cozumel in several years and so when I went back last year, I was really impressed on how good the diving is. I guess I had just forgotten. Not only did we see the small stuff like seahorses (3 for the week) but the large stuff as well like sharks, eagle rays, turtles, etc. I also like the fact that you drift dive. Roatan diving is good as well but you won't find the overall diversity as you will in Cozumel. While the shore diving at BA is a really good shore dive for Cozumel, it's not as good as the shore diving at CCV.

When we went to CCV, we stayed in one of the over-the-water rooms and liked it a lot. It was a nicer room than we had at BA. The rooms at BA were large and clean and we liked them as well and all are ocean front. To be fair, I did not go into one of the OF rooms at CCV and that would likely be a more fair comparison of rooms.

I found the food at CCV to be OK at best. I am not a picky eater at all and certainly did not go hungry but there is nothing special about their food. The only place I have been that serves it's guests really good buffet style food is Little Cayman Beach Resort and their food is outstanding! The breakfast at BA was good but breakfast is breakfast. Not the meal I'd judge a resort by. The lunches were really good however but of course you are paying extra for them. I'd say on average a lunch meal for the two of us ran $25. I did not eat dinner at BA as we found some exceptional restaurants in Cozumel but those in our group that did eat there at night rated it very highly and it was reasonably priced.

Looking at the whole picture, I don't think you can go to BA for half the cost of going to CCV but it would be significantly less. I enjoyed going to both and would return to either but if someone just gave me a free week at either, I'd go back to Cozumel and BA.

Are we talking about the same Blue Angel? There is no beach and the pool is quite small (see photo). The nightlife consisted of an acoustic guitar player who packed up around 10PM. That being said, I just booked another stay there in August. You stay at BA to dive - everything else is a nice bonus.

Maybe he was referring to general availability rather than on-site availability? If you stay at BA you can easily spend a day or two at a southern beach. There are lots of beaches in Coz set up for day visitors. I haven't heard of that so much in Roatan. Within walking distance of BA is the main town and tons of dining and shopping and nightlife options. The pool is small but so is the resort so it's never crowded.

Here is something interesting about Coco View - just this week I inquired about booking dives when family and I travel to Roatan. They turned us down. According to Coco View, they want to provide dives only for people staying at their resort.

I'm sure that makes for an interesting business model, but it certainly doesn't meet my needs, so we'll dive with someone else. I've been talking with Barefoot Cay.

I've got almost 100 dives in Cozumel and 2 on Roatan (West End) and frankly I'm mucho hungry to re-visit Roatan. I think the diving is better on Coz, and if you are cost-conscious, Coz is a better deal in almost every respect, but it's hard to beat the geography, beauty, jungle and culture of Roatan.

I know many of the el-cheapo diver hotels on Coz and the location of the Comida Casera lunch spots and some of the reasonably priced dive operators and frankly, I don't think anyone tops the Mayans for dive master prowess. But lordy, that Roatan is a place of incredible beauty. If we were going for the pricing and the diving, I would go to Coz. But we're going next to Roatan.

Wow 100 in coz! Nice. The more I read the more I know we will have a blast in roatan. My father in law and sister in law are currently in galapagos, but they'll be joining for the roatan trip as well... Hope they'll love it equally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is something interesting about Coco View - just this week I inquired about booking dives when family and I travel to Roatan. They turned us down. According to Coco View, they want to provide dives only for people staying at their resort.

That probably makes sense for them. They stay pretty booked up, and people often complain about 'cattle boats' in scuba diving, so letting outsiders come in and dive with them could pack the boats more. Just a thought.

Richard.

I'm sure that makes for an interesting business model, but it certainly doesn't meet my needs, so we'll dive with someone else.

This is not something new. If you went to CoCo View you would understand, also diving with CoCo View while staying somewhere else would not nearly as convenient for you as going to another shop. When I was there in January a long term Gringo resident went out with us on several days who was not staying at the resort, however accommodating him is a lot different then accommodating tourist on vacation. As a CoCo View customer, I'm glad they do not cater to day trippers and cruise ships, as that is what helps the place have the reputation of safety and camaraderie that it has.

Scuba Club Cozumel is probably a better comparison to Coco View rather than Blue Angel. Scuba Club has a special right now .5 nites, 4 days diving 3 meals for $649. I think Robin T has stayed at both places many times and could give you a good comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom