Blue Heron Bridge May 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind they are clueless ( or maybe without care) regarding tests related to diving. The tests conducted so far, were at low tide, in like an inch of water at the shore.....this is RIDICULOUS for even the Newspaper to run as a story, without more homework on the facts. Of course, the articles are not news, just entertainment, and the reporter more of a fiction writer than a non-fiction writer.
Feel free to pass my comment on to the "reporter" :)

What the lazy or inept reporter failed to mention, in the "news" piece....was that we found high bacteria levels right at the base of the pilings on the very eastward side of the span, which we assume were from construction damage to the sewage pipe buried there. Skip from Force E footed the bill for several hundred dollars of tests at a professional lab, to document. The "news services" can't handle any real news that could either "rock the boat", or require some actual "investigative journalism" , so they ignored the tests we did..they ignored the REAL STORY.
For the place by the eastward span, where the construction crew is still working, the bacteria levels ONLY showed at low tide with essentially ZERO CURRENT FLOW....I also ran water tests both upcurrent and down current ( 20 feet away of pilings both directions) during the 1 hour prior to high tide current flow, and the readings from the tests showed CLEAN WATER. I expect this is due to the enormous dilution effect of the inflow of water as the tide comes in...of course this is in DIRECT CONTRAST to some foolish comments by 'someone interviewed by a TV reporter, for the story, who claimed on camera that this was a "low current area...that there was poor mixing, or some other approximation of this, to indicate that the area itself was to blame....We KNOW that the current rips through here as high tide comes in, and the water is thouroughly replaced with clean water. I'd love the reporter to put on some fins and a mask, and go with us 2 hours before high tide--and just TRY to swim agains the current that is "not supposed to be there" :)

My expectation is, that if the lazy or inept of the pretenda News medias were pushed into action...ultimately they could uncover the sewage pipe leak--which in all liklihood will be shown to be a small leak that will not effect diving in any way, but that WILL continue to be a threat to toddlers in the shallow shoreline waters at peak low tides. My email is dan@sfdj.com if any of you would like to forward my comments ( my investigative assistance :) to any of the "news reporters" so far too busy to actually report on the REAL STORY...the story about Negligence and DISREGARD for swimmers, by either the construction company, the City, the Environmental Protection Agency, the State, or some combination of these which SHOULD have tried to get to the bottom of this long ago. The very idea that they can be allowed to perform tests by just wondering along the beach, for a potential underwater leak is, just a little disturbing to me....:idk:

Yeah, not too worry. A few hundred yards to the South (Peanut Island) utilizes the exact same water and does not bother to post the same warning for the reasons stated in the above post...

Lindy -

High tide on Monday 5/2 is 8:23am. That means you should plan to arrive by 6:45-7:00ish. Get in the water an hour to 45 min before high tide for maximum dive time.

I would be more concerned about being a female alone in Phil Foster parking lot at that early hour than anything in the water.

Just watch this and the other "Continuing Sagas of BHB" thread. Hopefully you can find someone to join you. It's a beautiful dive with lots of amazing critters to see!

jet

I'm not sure if recent posters noticed that this thread refers to BHB beach closure a year ago in 2010.

Dan, thanks for the recap--and yep, as an ex tv news photographer--that soundbite was ridiculous and the story, uh; LAME!! I'm sure they did the story in a short time as is done every day--and had only the idiot county guy for "facts", what you and I saw is how it's going to come out. Someone; you, Skip, Abernathy, or another knowledgable human should have volunteered to do an interview on camera. If you should do an interview in the future, meet the photog/reporter at the bridge. The story deserved someone complaining on camera, rather than being referred to as a "group of divers".

Jet,
Thanks for the info. I guess I tried to dive the bridge last year and made the original post, but never dove the bridge in 2010. I was wondering why the dates didn't jive ugh. I posted something about a month ago but this was the latest post on thee subject.

I'm flying in on Friday and still want to dive the bridge perhaps Monday or Wednesday. I'm boat diving on Saturday. The rest of the week I have to work. I am trying to find a buddy.

Thanks!
Lindy

Jet,
Thanks for the info. I guess I tried to dive the bridge last year and made the original post, but never dove the bridge in 2010. I was wondering why the dates didn't jive ugh. I posted something about a month ago but this was the latest post on thee subject.

I'm flying in on Friday and still want to dive the bridge perhaps Monday or Wednesday. I'm boat diving on Saturday. The rest of the week I have to work. I am trying to find a buddy.

Thanks!
Lindy

So you are looking to dive next week Monday May 2, 2011? What about Sunday? I'm thinking about Sunday, May 1. High tide is 7:44am. We need to be geared up and ready to go no later than 7:00.

I think Force E (local dive shop) is sponsoring a night dive Sunday night,
05-01-11. They usually meet and have divers register at their shop a couple
hours before the high tide. You will also get a parking permit allowing you to
be parked after sunset in the area of the beach.

I think Force E (local dive shop) is sponsoring a night dive Sunday night,
05-01-11. They usually meet and have divers register at their shop a couple
hours before the high tide. You will also get a parking permit allowing you to
be parked after sunset in the area of the beach.

Yes, Force E is sponsoring a night dive this Sunday May 1. And if you have a chance to night dive the bridge, GO! I highly recommend it; it's amazing.

But I guess I'm too old (and maybe a little wimpy?) I'm driving up from Hollywood. A night dive gets me home, rinsed and to bed way too late for the start of a work week ...

If anyone is looking for a Sunday morning buddy let me know.

Thanks for the information. The problem is that I have to work on Sunday and Tuesday. I could potentially get out of my meetings by 4:30 Sunday afternoon but I'll be in Ft Lauderdale. Thanks for the tip on safety as well. Perhaps I can find a buddy at a dive shop when I fly in Friday afternoon. Cheers!

So you are looking to dive next week Monday May 2, 2011? What about Sunday? I'm thinking about Sunday, May 1. High tide is 7:44am. We need to be geared up and ready to go no later than 7:00.
I am planning to be there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom