Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(sort of) carefully selected group of pics :)

Here's some from the Friday, August 16 dive on the west side (with the camera with the 60mm lens attached).

It seems that I only occasionally run across decorator crabs at the bridge, but when I do, it seems there are often lots of them around.

IMG_4079da decorator face.jpg

IMG_4148da deco face.jpg

I had thought that these yellow guys were a version of green razorfish, but I've been corrected that they are actually pearlies. I *do* tend to see them in the areas where I normally see mostly pearlies.

IMG_4197da smooch.jpg

Wondered if it were mere coincidence to see these conch eggs right next to the octopus.

IMG_4144da.jpg

Ran across this guy with his unopened bivalve. He tried to hide it from me, but I swam around to the other side of the bottle on him.

IMG_4156a groceries.jpg

IMG_4179da w sea stars.jpg

Found it interesting that there was also a differently shaped (and sized - much smaller) jelly with the same coloration as all the moonies.

IMG_4121da.jpg

I get a kick out all the fish at the bridge sporting various injuries and illnesses.

IMG_4251da injury.jpg

The two spot octo turned white whenever the damsel attacked - which was a lot. Ross Robertson points out that it's the fish that looks scared. He also thinks only fish should be in those big aquaria, and that piranha should eat the penguins at same.

IMG_4329a posers.jpg

Sometimes it was only half white.

IMG_4297da bicolor.jpg

Sometimes fish even swam between me and the octo. There are lots of different kinds of parrotfish at the bridge, but many of them swim by too quickly to allow for photographic evidence (in my hands).

IMG_4310da interloper.jpg

mas from that Friday dive

continued. . .

I get a kick out of hanging out near the pilings of the west channel under the big bridge. There are typically lots of larger fish, including angels and parrots and schools of spadefish and, sometimes, jacks.

IMG_4373a.jpg
IMG_4452a.jpg
IMG_4403a.jpg
IMG_4484a.jpg
IMG_4475a.jpg
IMG_4489da.jpg
IMG_4433da.jpg
IMG_4435a.jpg

I believe these to be blue runners - which I've been known to confuse with bar jacks. . .

IMG_4467a blue runners.jpg

More fascinating (to me) injuries

IMG_4395b injury.jpg

Don't know if this be injury or illness. . .

IMG_4390a puddingwife juvie.jpg

These guys usually go by too fast for me to get face shots. I can see why one might want to hide that face.

IMG_4442a.jpg

Some sort of scorpionfish or barbfish. Not familiar with that pineapple decoration on its back.

IMG_4446a pineapple head.jpg

These two young scrawlies were hanging out between the west wall and the channel, taking bites out of pieces of chopped up moon jellies.

IMG_4407a youngsters.jpg

These two smallish sand perches were doing some kind of extended "tail dance" prior to going into some kind of whirling dervish dance. Couldn't really figure out what they were up to, but this was a late afternoon dive, and I *did* see some embarrassing behavior soon after on my way back to the entry area.

IMG_4472da tail dancing.jpg

late afternoon shenanigans

Some pearly play. Got the sense that the big guy would rather that I didn't watch. Think of it as a very poor video. . .

.IMG_4496a we be busy here.jpgIMG_4523a pearly panky.jpgIMG_4521a mating belly.jpgIMG_4522a dont watch.jpgIMG_4526a ready.jpgIMG_4501a.jpgIMG_4517a.jpgIMG_4506a.jpgIMG_4505a.jpgIMG_4504a.jpgIMG_4532da.jpgIMG_4525a.jpgIMG_4530a rising.jpgIMG_4531a mating rise.jpgIMG_4533a post spermation.jpg

Mystery blenny

Kev-
Really like the yellow pearly razor!
Sorry to hear about your injured fish fetish

Sully:

Here are a few more shots while I wait for confirmation, no guesses based on my ID books.....

BHB-201309042877.jpgBHB-201309042868.jpg

Gotta admit he's got a cute face;

Attachments

• BHB-201309042883.jpg
    BHB-201309042883.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 141
Some nice shots, not sure how much the backscatter ones contributed:whip:

Ahhh, much better with the flounder. Impressive!

Hadn't really seen it as a "fetish", but now that I think about it. . . :D

There was another, smaller, yellow one nearby, but I was afraid to add that photo.

And, from Ben Victor:

[FONT=&amp]"The banded blenny, Paraclnus fasciatus. Rarely photographed…"

Pretty cool.

Kevin[/FONT]

Kev-
Really like the yellow pearly razor!
Sorry to hear about your injured fish fetish

Sully:

Here are a few more shots while I wait for confirmation, no guesses based on my ID books.....

View attachment 165336View attachment 165339

Gotta admit he's got a cute face;

Last edited:
Saturday, August 17, wide angle

Pretty disappointing attempt at diving the east side on the Saturday of that weekend. The froggies and colorful seahorses musta heard I was coming. :depressed:

IMG_4460b.jpgIMG_4463b.jpgIMG_4462b.jpgIMG_4472a injury.jpgIMG_4482b.jpgIMG_4486a.jpgIMG_4500b.jpgIMG_4505b.jpgIMG_4504b.jpgIMG_4524b.jpgIMG_4521b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom