Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CoolTech,
Jet suggested that would be the ID. The pic in my OLD edition of Reef Creature ID didn't look anything like this guy. I think they have an open current book at Force E so I will look at the newer pic today.....Thanks for the quick ID, this character was out and about around hi tide yesterday midday.

IMG_3949.jpg

Octo sorta tippytoes past star yesterday at 'da bridge! About 20 ft viz at the start--down to 15 after tidal change with full moons rising! Lotsa moons rising after the tide shifted--not bad before that. Temp 82 on my Suunto. I would get in and out a little earlier today than usual to avoid full frontal moonity!

Hi all, we are looking to dive the BHB while down in the area over Christmas week. The possible days are Dec 26th,27, 28th, 29th, 30th. This would be our first dives there so if anyone who dives there regularly would like to get together please let me know. I have wanted to do this dive for a while and I figured since I am in Islamorada that whole week I would try to add it to our adventure.

Hi all, we are looking to dive the BHB while down in the area over Christmas week. The possible days are Dec 26th,27, 28th, 29th, 30th. This would be our first dives there so if anyone who dives there regularly would like to get together please let me know. I have wanted to do this dive for a while and I figured since I am in Islamorada that whole week I would try to add it to our adventure.

You will love it! Maybe I am a little forward, but I happily walk up to groups of folks, especially with cameras, and introduce myself and ask if I can tag along. I bet I know 8-10 new people now at BHB. Of course I donl't know if they like me or not..:cool2:

RescueDiver68,

I checked my logs for that date range for 2010, 11, and 12 at BHB. Viz was from 20 to 40 (most often around 20 to 30ish) and bottom temps from 70 to 73. My log from one year says air temp at sunup was "to quote the baby polar bear, f***ing freezing!"

I notice Sunday might be good for a twilight dive. Put a shout on the board when you're coming and I'll see if I can join you. If not, I'm sure somebody around here can accommodate. Remember, bringing extra donuts or cookies and hot cocoa
to winter divers makes for a great introduction.

Here are the tide times for your trip:

Th
26 High 2:10 AM
26 Low 8:18 AM
26 High 2:18 PM
26 Low 8:51 PM

F
27 High 3:12 AM
27 Low 9:21 AM
27 High 3:17 PM
27 Low 9:50 PM

Sa
28 High 4:15 AM
28 Low 10:22 AM
28 High 4:19 PM
28 Low 10:47 PM

Su
29 High 5:15 AM
29 Low 11:19 AM
29 High 5:19 PM
29 Low 11:42 PM

Last edited:
RescueDiver68,

I checked my logs for that date range for 2010, 11, and 12 at BHB. Viz was from 20 to 40 (most often around 20 to 30ish) and bottom temps from 70 to 73. My log from one year says air temp at sunup was "to quote the baby polar bear, f***ing freezing!"

I notice Sunday might be good for a twilight dive. Put a shout on the board when you're coming and I'll see if I can join you. If not, I'm sure somebody around here can accommodate. Remember, bringing extra donuts or cookies and hot cocoa
to winter divers makes for a great introduction.

Here are the tide times for your trip:

Th
26 High 2:10 AM
26 Low 8:18 AM
26 High 2:18 PM
26 Low 8:51 PM

F
27 High 3:12 AM
27 Low 9:21 AM
27 High 3:17 PM
27 Low 9:50 PM

Sa
28 High 4:15 AM
28 Low 10:22 AM
28 High 4:19 PM
28 Low 10:47 PM

Su
29 High 5:15 AM
29 Low 11:19 AM
29 High 5:19 PM
29 Low 11:42 PM

Sounds great! I will be in touch and stocked with Krispy Kremes!

Yesterday viz was a particulate filled 20ish ft, water temp 82. The moons are there but (to me) did not seem as bad as last week. Lots of stingy pieces though; I got zapped a couple times. Still had a beautiful zen dive, as always.

DSC02290.jpg DSC02295.jpg DSC02304.jpg DSC02350.jpg

RescueDiver: Christmas week is a wonderful time to dive the bridge. I saw my first BHB manatee on Christmas morning a few years ago. Talk about magic! The crowds are gone. You have the place pretty much to yourself and a few die-hards. But as Bilsant said, the air temp is c-c-c-cold. Plan accordingly, especially with those late afternoon tides. You will be getting out close to dusk. A warm fleece and thermos of hot beverage are a must!

I would be up for a Christmas day afternoon dive at BHB. Anyone interested in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom