Blue Hole - The True Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will visit the Blue Hole on January or February on my diving trip to Egypt,but it will be only up to 30 meters. Impressions? Any advice?

Its a really simple wall dive. You'll have to walk maybe 100m in full gear around the corner to the bells entry. Then descend down a 30m 3-sided chimney with a small arch at 26m. Out onto the outer wall, swim along that. 20-25min swim later you'll come to the saddle at 7m depth which is the only recreational entry for the hole and where the best coral is. If you've got gas remaining a decent guide will continue south past the saddle before turning to bring you back. After you cross into the hole its a 5-6 min swim on an extended safety stop to the exit. You dont have to walk anywhere on exit unlike entry.
Inside the hole itself is dead, not much coral, not much fishlife and a bit dark. Quite unexciting. Not much coral outside but a decent feeling of space going along the wall.
Usually very little current to worry about and diveable in pretty much all tides and weather.

That's pretty much it. Basically, bog standard wall dive! Canyon which you'll likely do on the same day is a better reef and nicer dive in my view.

Lighthouse Dive Center has nothing to do with technical diving as far as I know.

Correction for that - they are a technical equipped centres (right through to advanced trimix) and can offer guided technical dives for appropriately qualified people.

Correction for that - they are a technical equipped centres (right through to advanced trimix) and can offer guided technical dives for appropriately qualified people.
The post you're replying to is more than one year old. They became a technically equipped center.

The post you're replying to is more than one year old. They became a technically equipped center.

Still doesn't account for the quality/ ability of their divers unfortunately. Recently a colleague was knelt in the 30m sand inside the Canyon with his divers and 3 'technical' divers entered through the small hole next to the fish bowl tower and FELL, not descended, fell pretty much on top of their heads. Instead of apologising, my colleague just got shown the finger when they were asked what the hell they were doing..... Went to speak to the dive centre following day, weren't really interested.....

Still doesn't account for the quality/ ability of their divers unfortunately. Recently a colleague was knelt in the 30m sand inside the Canyon with his divers and 3 'technical' divers entered through the small hole next to the fish bowl tower and FELL, not descended, fell pretty much on top of their heads. Instead of apologising, my colleague just got shown the finger when they were asked what the hell they were doing..... Went to speak to the dive centre following day, weren't really interested.....
I was just pointing out the fact that they were not technically equipped one year ago, but thanks for the info.

Three years ago I was diving the bells. On approaching the saddle, I saw some "divers" in full technical gear (BP/W, manifolded doubles and 2 stages each). At 9 meters they were holding to the reef and finning!!! Those should have not been certified even to OWD level, but apparently they were taken to the arch on tech gear :)

As to Yuri - all stories about shark attack etc are very likely a bull****. Go to Youtube and look up his own video recovered from his camera.

This is my Partner near board for remember Yurij Lipskij, Blue Hole, Dahab, Egypt. 2010.

Attachments

• S1110006.JPG
    S1110006.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 259
Three years ago I was diving the bells. On approaching the saddle, I saw some "divers" in full technical gear (BP/W, manifolded doubles and 2 stages each). At 9 meters they were holding to the reef and finning!!! Those should have not been certified even to OWD level, but apparently they were taken to the arch on tech gear :)

Maybe some of these "divers" should have their "memory plate" done before they attempt to dive the arch! At least they would have a say in the design...

...I personally find the "have a fun dive" inscription on one of them somewhat...eh...inappropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom