Blue Springs in FL 4 in the hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Spring State Park is in Orange City, FL. A rather small opening enlarges into a football-shaped area that may be 20x50 feet in size. Below 69 feet it becomes a smaller passageway to the bottom where the flow starts.

Another popular dive is Paradise Spring just south of Ocala. Paradise has a smaller opening that also enlarges. It has no outflow as it is a sinkhole.

Blue Spring State Park is in Orange City, FL. A rather small opening enlarges into a football-shaped area that may be 20x50 feet in size. Below 69 feet it becomes a smaller passageway to the bottom where the flow starts.

Another popular dive is Paradise Spring just south of Ocala. Paradise has a smaller opening that also enlarges. It has no outflow as it is a sinkhole.

It does get pretty crowded. However, keep in mind that to teach there, instructors have to purchase a commercial park permit. They're not getting a free ride. The students still pay normal park admission.

If "Blue Something" was near Devil's Den, it was most likely Blue Grotto... Grotto is more of a large cavern than Blue Springs.

One problem with learning how to dive in central FL is the lack of available places with good viz. Alexander springs is probably the best site on the east coast for beginners. Blue Springs is pretty cool for a 65' hole in the ground, I also liked to freedive it a bit when I lived up there.

We all have to learn somewhere, FL springs are a pretty good place to start.

I took my daughter there for training dives several years ago. from what i can recall...its a pretty small hole isn't it? I mean...the top section isn't to bad...but more than 4 people would be pretty tight.

this is where the manatess are right? i know we did Blue-something one weekend, and then the next went to Devils den

You make a good point.. I am a photographer and if I were there working on a commercial shoot I am sure that I would be told I needed a special permit. And by allowing this for profit diving, aren't they inviting someone else to bring their for profit business into a park?.. hmmmmm...

Last year, one Sunday they had a guy at the spring and one at the parking lot with walkie-talkies. The advised each group when they could proceed to the spring. We saw that just once.

Congestion can occur when a large class is around the 30 foot level. Some instructors don't like other divers swimming through their lessons. They have various ways of letting us know. But, all you can do is make a slow ascent and use the only exit. Now, they can't go in with other divers below them.

So the question is: Does group dive instruction belong there? The public should have access to a public place. But... dive stores and instructors are using this public place to conduct for-profit business. The park is for recreation and conservation and not a business zone. If I set up a hot dog cart or sold little paintings, they would kick me out. You figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom