Boat Dives in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricTheDood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're heading to Maui next week and planning to book a 2-tank Lanai dive with Lahaina Divers.

We looked at their "Turtle Reef" boat dives and concluded that we can do the same dives with a beach entry. We're staying at the Sheraton right next to Black Rock.

I'm I missing anything or this the way to go? We're going to have to save Molokini for another time unfortunately.

Thanks.

The shore diving in Maui can be simply incredible. I always suggest a guide who is familiar with not only critters - but also potential hazards like boat traffic and currents. I'd suggest a conversation with Shaka Doug (Above site) as he is a well established and VERY experienced guide there. You'll find he is very helpful. Shore dives often avoid the big dive boat crowds as well and can be extra personalized.

Good Luck. I've heard nothing but great things about Doug. I'm sure he'll take great care of you and help in making your decision.
A

While not trying to change your mind about Shaka Divers I will say don't give up on Lahaina Divers. They are a great Op that will take fantastic care of you.

AFAIK Doug only works in South Maui (permit) which would be about 30-60mins. drive depending on site chosen and traffic.

If you're looking for a guided shore dive closer there's Tiny Bubbles also in Ka'anapali. The dive to do is Mala Pier in Lahaina plus Black Rock since you're staying there.

If you're set on Molokini, Lahaina sends one boat there every T-TH-SAT.
Molokini Scuba Diving with Lahaina Divers

On my way back home as we speak (sadly).

Had a fantastic time in Maui. Ended up doing two boat dives with Lahaina Divers: Lanai (Second Cathedral + Fish Rock) on one day, and the Carthaginian Wreck + Mala Pier on the second. All of them were great. Had a good time chilling on the bottom with a 6' white tipped reef shark at Mala Pier.

Excellent service from the whole team at Lahaina Divers and especially the dive instructors/guides Erica and Josie. We'll be diving with them again the next time we're in Maui - probably Molokini backwall and the hammerhead site.

I didn't end up getting in touch with Doug since it was a bit last minute but will try him next time. We dove Black Rock on our own, including one night dive. Our room was in building #4, right next to the beach.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom