boat or shore dive in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betshsu

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm planning a dive trip to Monterey in mid-Nov and debating between going with a dive shop that does boat dives or shore dives. There will be 4 of us--my boyfriend and I have logged about 30 dives, and have done a bit of diving this year, but we're warm water divers and have not done a lot of cold water diving (I've probably done the coldest, when I did my advanced certification in Dec in a lake in Texas... water temp in the 60s probably, I was in a 7 mil farmer's and jacket, but I'm less cold tolerant than he is). I'm more concerned about the two friends who are coming with us (and the cold!)--they were both certified at the same time (summer 2001), but didn't do their first dives until the next summer and haven't been diving since. One is very comfortable in the water, but the other is not and had a really bad first dive after he got his certification (though he did fine on a dive the next day).
So basically--for novice divers, would you suggest a shore dive or a boat dive? We've already decided to go with a divemaster because of the novice divers (current plan is 2 dives Sat, maybe a night dive Sat, and 1 or 2 dives Sun). Also, any recommendations for dive shops? I've been debating between MBDC and Bamboo Reef, though I just learned about Aquarius and Manta Ray but haven't had a chance to call. Thanks!

do shore. That is alot of cold water dives unless you have a dry suit. That night dive will be cold if your suit is wet from the day dive. Find a laundamat and stick the wt suit in the dryer for 1hr. or until warm & toasty. Just my opinion.
We use to dive Point Lobos, Cannery Row,the breakwater .
Some of the shops took boats out to Chase Reef. We went there once and the current was too strong to dive. Make sure you do Chase reef at slack tide. Montery is a beautiful plqce to dive and play.

I'd probably do shore dives on Sat., and then consider how everyone feels for a boat dive on Sunday.

A night dive is always fun, so make sure to get one in if you can.

MBDC is fine as a shop, but so are Aquarius and Bamboo Reef. I haven't used Manta Ray.

The Aquarius I use (there are two, in Monterey) is up on Del Monte, near Hwy 1. The guy that owns that shop has been diving for years, commercially and recreationally, and will recommend the least costly solution to most any dive problem.

Give them a call and talk with them about their recommendations.

http://www.aquariusdivers.com/

(I think this is the right URL.)

Regarding going with a divemaster, most of the boats in Monterey do not have divemasters that lead dives. They stay on the boat unless something requires them to get in the water. So, check ahead, if you want a leader. PM me if you want an instructor recommendation.

Breakwater (San Carlos beach) makes a good night dive, with the flattest conditions, easy navigation, lights along shore, etc. Watch for any fishermen, go along the wall. Lotsa tiny octopi.

I would suggest that you do a shore dive rather than a boat dive.

SHORE DIVE:
A shore dive would allow you the greatest amount of flexibility. You and your friends can take as much or as little time as you want. (within the limits of the hired DM) You can stay shallow or do whatever you want more easily from shore.

Downside is hauling gear to and from, and possibility of long swims. However, there are some real good easy shore dives in Monterey. The DM should be able to take you someplace good.

BOAT DIVE:
A boat dive would cost more; you would each have to pay for the boat dives, and possibly have to pay for the DM to dive if it is a commercial boat.

The commercial boat people (?) would be pretty patient and they try to be helpful, but they have schedules to keep. In addition, there would be a certain amount of "peer pressure" whether anyone intends it or not when you are on a boat with a bunch of other people.

Also, they try to keep everyone on the boat happy, and many of the dive sites that they go to would be a little deeper than some newbies would be comfortable with.

Also, don't forget that not everyone does well on a boat in the ocean for 45+ minutes chugging to a great dive spot. Plus the SI. Plus the return ride. Sea-sickness should certainly be factored into your decision.

Of course if the DM has a boat, and it doesn't cost extra, then take a short boat ride and dive about a half mile off either Lover's or the Aquarium. It will be a short boat ride, 50-60 feet deep, plenty of stuff to see, and no dealing with sand or a long swim.

My dos (or tres) centavos, but only because you asked.

Wristshot

scubasean once bubbled...
MBDC is fine as a shop, but so are Aquarius and Bamboo Reef. I haven't used Manta Ray.

The Aquarius I use (there are two, in Monterey) is up on Del Monte, near Hwy 1. The guy that owns that shop has been diving for years, commercially and recreationally, and will recommend the least costly solution to most any dive problem.

Give them a call and talk with them about their recommendations.

http://www.aquariusdivers.com/

(I think this is the right URL.)

I agree, Aquarius on Del Monte is my favorite shop there too. They are on the way to the dive sites, over by the U.S. Naval Post Graduate School.

MBDC, Aquarius on the Wharf, Manta Ray, and Bamboo Reef are all closer to the dive sites.

Aquarius on the Wharf is right at San Carlos State Beach (aka Breakwater Beach). MBDC is right next to Breakwater Beach, on Cannery Row. Manta Ray is on the next street over from MBDC. Bamboo Reef is down the street a ways from the others.

I know MBDC gives tours. I do not know if the others do.

I would strongly suggest shore dives for both days.
Depending on conditions, boat dives in Monterey can be very strenuous to new divers, especially for those with little cold water experience. The amount of weight, coupled with wetsuit compression will make for very stressful situations mid-water during ascents and descents to more than 50ft, if the diver doesn't have acceptable buoyancy skills.

If conditions are nice, with little current, OK visibility and no swell, the boat dive will be OK, and sometimes really nice, but conditions are often more challenging, in which case it will be very stressful for the newer divers. I think it might be OK for you and your boyfriend, especially if you hire a guide, but definitely not for your friends.

Paul

I agree with the above posts suggesting shore dives at least the first day. If you cannot deal with Breakwater then you do not belong on a boat. They sometimes go into some pretty rough water for novices and sea sickness is an additional complicating factor. If you call ahead Aquarius should be able to reccommend DM or Inst.

If you do well, try the Cypress Sea for a boat ride. If you can do a "Friendly Friday" these dives are intended for novices.
Also consider renting drysuits and use instructor for this as well.

Diving here is not very consistent as to conditions but I have had dives which rival Mexico for beauty.

Good Luck
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom