Body for Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have to put my 2 cents in here. I have lost weight twice, both time dropping 70-80lbs. The first time I was running every night and was on my feet all day working hard so it wasn't that hard to lose the weight. Now I have a desk job and moving north, getting married and so forth put the weight back on me. I went on the body for life plan. It is great because it is a low(er) carb / high protein diet and includes a wonderful exercise plan. The low carb diets seem to be fads but why I state this is low(er) is it does reduce your carbs but only to what you need. It doesn't try to elminate carbs all together. I went from 280 to 193 and then put on about 40lbs in muscle. Unfortunately the doctor told me to lose 15lbs of muscle due to hypertension but for those needing a solid all around plan, I highly recommend this one.

The "Body for Life" book is one of the best DIY guides out there...

...with one exception. I do think you should take the emphasis on shakes and other supplements with a huge grain of salt. The author is founder of EAS, the supplement company whose products are pushed in the book. You don't need anything other than food-based nutrition to achieve the same results.

Other than that, this is a sound fitness plan that if followed will result is weight loss, increased strength, and improved endurance.

Cameron

I've tried a lot of different things in order to lose weight/get in better health. The Body for Life program was recommended to me by Bob Sherwood and I have to say that I'm very happy with the results after 6 weeks. The biggest problem that I've had is that most exercise books say "Work out this way and eat well," while diet books have "Eat this way and exercise." The BFL plan makes everything very specific - diet AND exercise. It's also very easy to follow. With the WW points system, once I realised that jelly doughnuts and other junkfood had official points, that was the end of that. I abused the heck out of them. After a few months on Atkins, I was missing real fruit way too much. How can aspertame be better for me than an apple???

I like the well balanced diet of the BFL plan and the workouts, cardio and weights, are well structured and easy to follow. I did buy some of those shakes, but I get more out of eating regular food. 6 weeks into the program, I'm losing fat, building muscle and feeling better than I have in a long time.

Cameron's website also has a lot of really good information on stretches and workouts. Stretching is one thing that BFL doesn't get into too much. Just my 2 psi.

-Frank

Last year I did body for life and a tweaked it for what i needed I had to get in cardio shape quick so i almost double the cardio yes i almost had reached burn out but i had to do it. Body for life should be called way of life it's great and i recommend but sometimes the 6 meals a day and working out 6 times a week is hard. but all in all it was good. I'm just reducing my carbs and starting to run again so let me see how that works.

I think Bill Phillips has developed an excellent program. Obviously he puts an emphasis on shakes and supplements, but I don't see that as all bad or self centered (just for the money). I think his concept of the "20 Minute Cardio Solution" is and excellent circuit training method. For someone who wants to be serious about there health and develop a program that will allow them to get AND keep their "Body for Life", then Bill's book is a great asset to them. Don't buy the book just to browse the pages, but rather buy it if you're SERIOUS about making changes and willing to make sacrifices in order for them to happen. As with any diet or lifestyle ... do something that you can continue doing, not just do it and quit. Don't be afraid to ask for help or find a friend to work out with you and encourage you. A workout buddy is just as essential as your dive buddy. All that said ... If you want to change your body, it WILL happen if you set a realistic goal and don't let up until you're their. Make a difference in your life ... add a few years to it! Good Luck Everyone. Be Safe. -Adam-

P.S. - The video series "Body of Work" is and excellent video about the origin of the "Body for Life" campaign. It's HIGHLY motivational!

I'm doing BFL...currently in my 8th week. So far I've had great success. As of my last weigh in I'd lost aboug 10 pounds of fat, gained about 3 pounds of muscle, reduced my body fat percentage by 4.5 and lost about 3.5 inches off my waist! Can't beat that with a stick!

What I find to be the best part of this program compared to other programs is the mental aspect. The "Crossing the Abyss" chapter in the BFL book really struck a chord with me! And, I totally love his thoughts on the Universal Law of Reciprocation! The workouts and eating plans are comprehensive and easy to understand.

I agree with the others that you don't have to have the suppliments. But, it does help when trying to get in all your meals. I started out having 2 shakes a day but now I'm down to just 1...my mid-morning meal.

Also, I wanted to mention the Eating-For-LIFE book. It's an extension of the BFL book focusing solely on the nutritional aspect of the program. It has 150+ recipe in there that are all authorized for the BFL program. I've never owned another cookbook that I've actually used regularly (healthy cookbook or otherwise). I'm sure that without the EFL cookbook I would be ready to give up this program for lack of variety in my eating (I get bored easily). Oh and I make these recipes for me and my husband who's not doing BFL and we both like the recipes (okay, I really like it and he tolerates it, but he'll actually eat healthy food which means it's good stuff. :11ztongue) I highly recommend this (cook)book even if you choose not to do the exercise portion!!

Last year I lost weight and nearly reached my goal weight on The Lean Bodies program. I felt wonderful, strong and energetic on the program. It sounds very similar to the Body For Life program. My motivation was a dive trip we were planning to Bonaire. Once we returned from the trip, I lost steam and slowly returned to my former eating habits with the result that I am back at square one again. Does anyone familiar with both of these programs know how they would differ? I already have the Lean Bodies book and cookbook, so I would not want to invest in the Body For Life material if there is not much difference between the two. I realize now that I was motivated for the wrong reasons and that is why I failed.

Boby for Life rocks! I only did it for 6 weeks and I was in great shape, I must do it again.

CameronMartz:
The "Body for Life" book is one of the best DIY guides out there...

...with one exception...You don't need anything other than food-based nutrition....

Other than that, this is a sound fitness plan that if followed will result is weight loss, increased strength, and improved endurance.

Cameron

I shortened your quote, but I fully agree w/ you!

I've been doing BFL w/ my husband for close to a year now. We photocopied & enlarged the weight-training pages out of the book. We posted them on the wall of our exercise room so we didn't have to "flip pages" in the book for each of the exercises. We bought a complete set of dumbbells (2 lbs - 30 lbs) and built a rack to hold them all. Made it easy to have everything we needed all set up for a "no excuses" workout.

I'm stronger and more toned than ever. (We both are: I'm 46, he is 58). It's VERY COOL to see muscle definition in these ole arms! :eyebrow:

I also increased the cardio suggested (20 minutes wasn't enough for me to lose weight), and followed the Weight Watcher's eating plan instead of his six meals (& supplements) a day.

My fitness habit of working out six days a week is just part of my life now...would'nt trade it for the world.

Protein shakes, carb drinks, and other supplements should be researched . Don't buy something just because your favorite pro-ball player says it works wonders.

Most of the time, if you are eating correctly, you will get above the USDA recomendations. I had to take a nutrition class as part of my kinesiology degree, we had to keep a diet journal for most of the semester. I was powerlifting at the time and was taking ammin acids, protien shakes, a multi-vitamin pack and HMB. I exceeded my recomended protein allowance by well over 150%. I actually exceeded all of my USDA recomendation by at least 80%.

If you are looking for a high protien drink to add to meals and keep your mind off of the nasty old cokes you may have been used to drinking ( if you are like me...3 - 20 oz /day habit.)
try Nature's Best Isopure no-carb drinks. 160 cals from 40 grams of protein. And they taste pretty good too.

www.naturesbest.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom