Bohol - Alona Palm Resort closure - employees viewpoint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we are still all speculating here. shifting a bit off topic, that makes it even more interesting and gives maybe some insight in the philipino style of living.

fact is, alona palm beach was/is the high end resort at alona beach. to my knowledge it offers 12 villas only. a rather small but fine outfit.

My "cop" instincts also wonder how many foreigners marry Filipinas for the "conveniences" attached to owning a business, a home and remaining in the country?
I put that up there with the "sexpats", maybe worse?
Yesterday 10:58 AM

i would say very few with the target of opening a business (with common sence). fact is, as a foreigner you can not own land. starting a resort, you are almost obliged to marry in order that property can be bought. that land in the name of your lovely wife makes a business owner not feel very confident and comfortable at all. as lang as the marriage works all is fine. but it would not be the first and for sure not the last resort falling apart because some locals think they just found a source of endless cash.

soon after when the resort is completely run down it is for sale...

also employing 10 philipinos entitels you to a recidence visa. a much more preferable way rather of getting married.

Assuming the man doesn't mistreat the woman, I reckon it's a win-win situation for both. He gets to stay in the country and enjoy a standard of living that far outweighs what he'd have at home for the same amount of $$$, and she (and possibly her family) benefit financially.

if you find your great love here in the philippines thats just great. leave alone the difference in age which is not really a concern as long as the marriage works.

but stating that the standard of living outweights western countrys i do not see at all. different people come and love the philippines for different reasons. i myself simply love the diving here. the most friendly, always smiling people, the ease of travel in contrarry to indonesia.

i ask myself whether or not looking for a job in the manila area in order to be able to dive on weekends. could i handle a job totally relaying on local habits - i don't no but at least i make a questionmark there.

i am thinking on retiring here in about 10 years. all what i need is a sandy beach, good diving in front of it, a bamboo shack with a patio oriented to the west for the sunsets. say 4 tanks and a compressor for pumping air. can i do it? i don't no, because getting married just to own a lousy bamboo shack is not worth it.

i would rather state a few poeple didn't make it back home and live in the philippines now. on higher standards? be no means.

i don't regard alona beach as "the centre of good diving" but i wish that alona palm beach can reopen for the next season. it was and hopefully stil is a beautiful resort.

not that I condone some old impotent white dude walking around with the shortest, darkest, ugliest pinay in the land... but that's a totally different issue

Jag

rofl_seal.jpg

<snip>
if you find your great love here in the philippines thats just great. leave alone the difference in age which is not really a concern as long as the marriage works.

I agree that age doesn't (always) matter but I think you'd be hardpressed to deny the fact that the majority of western men parading around with Filipinas are at least old enough to be their fathers. As to what makes a marriage 'work'... everyone has different criteria. :wink:

but stating that the standard of living outweights western countrys i do not see at all. different people come and love the philippines for different reasons. i myself simply love the diving here. the most friendly, always smiling people, the ease of travel in contrarry to indonesia.

Assuming I'm understanding you, you're missing my point. For example, $100,000 CAD will buy me a cardboard box here in Vancouver. In Cebu, or even Manila, I reckon I could buy myself a nice condo. Another example, let's say a family of 4 has monthly living expenses of $4000. Take that $4000 and convert it to pesos and those pesos will go a hell of a lot further in the Philippines than $4000 will in Canada.

i ask myself whether or not looking for a job in the manila area in order to be able to dive on weekends. could i handle a job totally relaying on local habits - i don't no but at least i make a questionmark there.

i am thinking on retiring here in about 10 years. all what i need is a sandy beach, good diving in front of it, a bamboo shack with a patio oriented to the west for the sunsets. say 4 tanks and a compressor for pumping air. can i do it? i don't no, because getting married just to own a lousy bamboo shack is not worth it.

I did research into renting/owning in the RP after my first trip and I vaguely recall there being something about leasing land? It sounded rather dodgy and complicated, IIRC.

i would rather state a few poeple didn't make it back home and live in the philippines now. on higher standards? be no means.

Higher standards in a material sense... not really, especially once you hit the streets. Note, though, that there's abject poverty in some of the richest cities in the *first world*, too. Personally, I'd rather be happy with less than miserable with a safety deposit box full of diamonds. :)

i don't regard alona beach as "the centre of good diving" but i wish that alona palm beach can reopen for the next season. it was and hopefully stil is a beautiful resort.

I didn't care all that much for Alona Beach but for the sake of the employees, I do hope it reopens.

I do hope you reach your dream of retiring in the RP, swisstrav. I've only been twice but it's hooked me like no other place I've been to and I wish the same for myself. Good luck to us both. :)

seems we drifted off topic here, from what I have heard , this was clais inion dispute

Okay, back on topic.

The resort is closed. The protestors and signs on both the beach and the road outside the resort entrance are gone. All is quiet.

Only the owner of Alona Palm knows why he closed his resort. The rest is rumor and speculation on whom you speak with, for example:

1. The property is for sale for 10 million US Dollars.
2. It was union busting.
3. He was going to sell anyway but the union issue was the decision maker.
4. He paid the month's salary for every year worked to all his employees.
5. His employees were some of the best paid and treated in Alona.

Pop!

:D:D:D:popcorn:

On a serious note, it is a complicated subject! Cheers to all for keep cool heads!:coffee: Now where is WWD when we need him????:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom