Bohol Island--Panglao, Balicasag Island diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask what do you think of Alona? Some people say it's really overcrowded and it is not worth it anymore for diving
Well it would be difficult to say it's not crowded : it is, especially at peak season Xmas or Easter holidays.
However the place is quite large and despite some big hotels attracting the chinese crowd, you won't feel immediately oppressed. Besides that it's nowhere like the seedy atmosphere of Puerto Galera.
Personnally I think the diving is still good enough to stay 4-5 days, there's macro, there's fish and good corals.
Anyway I do not expect to be alone on my beach in a country that has a density 350 person/km² more than twice Indonesia... To get this : I go and dive eastern Indonesia.

(and thanks for your appreciation on my photos :) )

Last edited:
I really enjoyed my dives at Balicasag Island---much more so than the dives in Anda. More variety and much clearer water and vis. We saw at least 13 turtles on one dive at Balicasag. Yes Alona beach area is quite over run with tourists but if you're diving who cares? Dive shops at Alona are limited in how often they can go to Balicasag Island---they need to get a daily permit to go there and they don't always get it. But you can always find someone who is going as there are a lot of dive shops around Alona Beach. I went to Balicasag Island three days out of five and dove the house reef off Alona beach and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The other dive I did there was on the west end of the island and we went to see a sardine run which was underwhelming. Now Dauin (for macro) and Apo Island are a whole different ballgame and totally worth a trip to dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom