Bonaire and Internet Access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are considering a trip to the ABCs this summer. But we've got a major non-diving roadblock.

We'd really love to go to Bonaire, but my wife, even on "vacation", has to log in to the Internet for about two hours a day. She absolutely cannot be off the net for a week without risking her job. If all she can get is some sort of dial-up ISP, it takes her nearly four hours to get her work done, and that just ruins the whole day.

Does anyone know of a hotel/resort in Bonaire that offers high-speed Internet in the room? Every website I've checked offers at best dial-up or a "kiosk" in the lobby. That won't work for us.

I know to most of you this is stupid, but for her it's a deal-breaker, and we will probably end up in Roatan or Curacao instead if it's just not available on Bonaire.

For the record, I certainly don't expect everywhere to be like the US. I know Internet access isn't a priority on a diving island. I'm just hoping I can find something that will work out.

The place I stayed in Bonaire (Cap't Don's Habitat) had three or four workstations set up in the lobby ... for a fee you could access the Internet.

I would be surprised if there were not Internet cafes in Krejlendik ... it's just the sort of touristy place you'd expect to find them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll check it out. I was just browsing the Captain Don's website, and I did see that there was a Wi-Fi hotspot "nearby". If nothing else, that might work.

Thanks for the reply.

The terminals set up in the hotel lobbies are dial up and slow plus they are expensive. Your best bet is Chat n Browse http://www.infobonaire.com/chatnbrowse/ near the Sand Dollar Grocery. Michael charges about $8.00 US per hour and has several terminals. He also has wired and wireless access for your own laptop. His connection is reliable and fast.

Michael also rents cell phones. You buy a 200 unit card for $75 and you get the phone free. Calls to the US are about 75 cents per min direct dial.

He has a great selection of cuban cigars and local handicrafts too.

There is also an internet kiosk in the tunnel near Kentucky Fried Chicken but I have never used them and don't know their rates.

NWGratefulDiver:
I would be surprised if there were not Internet cafes in Krejlendik ...

there is one, in the little "mall" by the docks, near the KFC. just ask around, it's a major hang out.

Hi Robert. I just returned from Bonaire and stayed at Happy Holiday Homes. There was internet access in the room and there was also wireless access available. I'm not sure about the connection speed but They charge $35.00 for 1 week of wireless connection. Happy Holiday is a nice very clean place to stay but it is not on the water. You can contact Louise if you have any other questions.
Tom.

info@happyholidayhomes.com

ocellaris:
Hi Robert. I just returned from Bonaire and stayed at Happy Holiday Homes. There was internet access in the room and there was also wireless access available. I'm not sure about the connection speed but They charge $35.00 for 1 week of wireless connection. Happy Holiday is a nice very clean place to stay but it is not on the water. You can contact Louise if you have any other questions.
Tom.

info@happyholidayhomes.com
WHere you from in grand rapids i am in grandville
Matbe we can get together and dive sometime

We went to Chat n Browse. It's in the little plaza south of the Buddy's/Capt. Don's area. Not sure what his connect speed is but it seemed fairly fast - I was watching over someone's shoulder. He also sells VOIP phone service so it's probably broadband. And he has a wireless access point so you can sit outside on the little patio, or in your car.

Downtown, high-speed access is available at Bonaire Access. They have 4 networked terminals set up in kiosks in the middle of a covered outside mall. It didn't seem particularly crowded during the afternoon, we went by there twice and only once saw someone using a terminal. Fairly new terminals too if I recall correctly, I sat there and fooled around for a couple minutes one day. It's the place H2Andy mentioned.

http://www.infobonaire.com/bonaireaccess/

We stay at BelMar condos to the south, you can use the computer in their lobby if you're staying there but it's slower than dirt.

Tom Smedley:
The terminals set up in the hotel lobbies are dial up and slow plus they are expensive. Your best bet is Chat n Browse http://www.infobonaire.com/chatnbrowse/ near the Sand Dollar Grocery. Michael charges about $8.00 US per hour and has several terminals. He also has wired and wireless access for your own laptop. His connection is reliable and fast.

Michael also rents cell phones. You buy a 200 unit card for $75 and you get the phone free. Calls to the US are about 75 cents per min direct dial.

He has a great selection of cuban cigars and local handicrafts too.

I'll second that. I prepaid about $25 (don't quote me on this price) for unlimited access for two weeks at Chat 'N Browse. I was carrying my own laptop, also for tracking dives and downloading pics from the camera. The wi-fi didn't work very well (this was over a year ago), but the wired access was fine.

If your wife needs access for two hours a day he may charge more, but he seems open to negociation on prices.

Back
Top Bottom