Bonaire dining question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is an excellent place to eat out and has a few nice little fine dining spots which deserve a try. I wouldn't compare them with Andrea's at The Wynn in Vegas, our local Nobu in Malibu or JiRaffe in Santa Monica but then the bill will be likely less than half. At Sea, Appetite, It Rains Fishes and Cappricio's are our favorites but we like Captain Don's if we fancy easier food at a bar. We like to eat quite early and often find a table for two but we sometimes reserve for Thursday or Friday night as we decide where we most want to eat for a second time.

Our next trip is soon and my mouth is watering.

reservations are a good idea because many of the restsurants are very small by north american standards. but, if you do not care where you eat and are happy to stroll around a bit, you should always be able to find a spot for a group of 2. groups larger than about 6 can be an issue at many places.

we wait until we arrive and then make reservations at At Sea, Capriccios, La Guernica, 4 Seasons. we sometimes have to shift nights due to them being prebooked.

The restaurants we visited did not open until 6:30. We did not make reservations, but arrived at 6:30 and there was always a table as most folks eat later.

So I have made reservations for 4 restaurants for our upcoming trip in 2 weeks. Chez Madeleine's, Ingrediants, Wil's and Sebastians. I have both called and sent emails to At Sea but no response. Does anyone know if they are closed for vacation this week? Also, what other restaurants have I missed that everyone suggests we try? We will probably go to Paradise Moon as a walk-in like in the past and maybe try Appetite this time.

So I have made reservations for 4 restaurants for our upcoming trip in 2 weeks. Chez Madeleine's, Ingrediants, Wil's and Sebastians. I have both called and sent emails to At Sea but no response. Does anyone know if they are closed for vacation this week? Also, what other restaurants have I missed that everyone suggests we try? We will probably go to Paradise Moon as a walk-in like in the past and maybe try Appetite this time.

Capriccios - food and service are top notch, not to mention Lola's wines. Do make reservations. Mi Banana for a night you don't feel like cooking, but aren't in the mood for a production. Try the Tres Leche cake. Plazita Limena - 2 locations - in town or first floor Den Lamen. Peruvian, ceviche, paella. Mona Lisa.

Reservations do help the owner in planning. You can usually call over and leave a message for places that aren't open. Capriccios and Mona Lisa we usually do a drive by and make them in person. The benefit to you the customer is you can specify where you want to sit when you make the reservation. Habitat has tables down by the water. Mona Lisa and Capriccios have al fresco dining as well and I've seen both turn folks sans reservations away. You don't get prime seating without a reservation. (Prime defined as sitting outside watching the water vs sitting in a dark, airless back corner)

I wanted to try Sonya Home, but we ran out of time. Menu looks delish. Ingridients at Buddy is good but pricy. I am talking Nobu and Wynn pricing. Pasa Bon pizza is good, especially the lion fish pizza. Make sure you call in advance or be prepared to wait, SLOW in an understatement. I think we waited hour twenty getting toasted at the bar.

There are some good food trucks when you are out and about ~ Kite Beach and the intersection in front of the prison are two. Pick up fresh fruit waterfront from the Venezuelans.

Just remember bug spray when you head out. Squitos and no see ums come out as the winds die late afternoon and love to dine on ankles under the table. Have fun, I still have a ways before my next Bonaire trip. :depressed:

Hey!!!

Going to Bonaire on October with my fiancee, we are not fancy people but we like to eat well (guess we are spoiled because food here in Brazil is amazing!).

Do you recomend the BBQ Night at Captains Habitat? How about the Grills Food Trucks?

Thanks!

BobbeJan BBQ is the place for you...Bobbejan BBQ - Fri-Sun only. Not fancy at all.

Donna and Giorgios isn't very fancy either. Even at the best places people are going to show up in nice shorts/collared shirts - we did at It Rains Fishes.

Also, what other restaurants have I missed that everyone suggests we try?
It Rains Fishes. We didn't have a reservation mid-week and were seated almost immediately at an ocean view table.

We thought we would have breakfast at Buddy's (as part of our package), lunch either in our room or picnic between dives, and either eat dinner in our room, at Buddy's or go out for dinner, depending on what we feel like doing at the moment. Does one need to make restaurant reservations ahead of time or are the posters on the forum uber-planners?

We are all uber planners! Your plan is pretty much ours - good filling breakfast at Buddy - eggs to order, omelets, waffles, fruit, cereal. Lunch of cheese, salami, crackers, bread, fruit, maybe some leftovers from the night before. We cook in about 75%, and the Buddy kitchens are adequate. Keep it simple. The front desk will try to find cook stuff if you ask.

As for making reservations in advance, no. We do so once we arrive, and have made some 30 minutes before we plan to be there. We'll call over while showering and dressing. It's more a respect thing. The high end fancy places we make within the first couple days of arriving - Mona Lisa, Wils, Cappricios.

Yes, I think that the restaurants on Bonaire like to plan for their guests. Especially since everything on the island is imported except the local fish. Think
of it as a RSVP and you will be much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom