Dive Trip to Bonaire, staying in Buddy Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was literally told by the staff that we could just put the (non-chip) key in a pocket. I opted to keep the key, some cash, and a CC in a snorkelers' phone-sized dry bag in my pocket.

Buddy's is also transitioning to room cards from the old room keys. We were the first folks to get one last month.

Interesting, we were at Cayman Brac and they have adopted rubberized wrist bands that unlock the door. Waterproof but no good below a few feet. Won’t stand the pressure. The dive master kept catching people about to dive with them …

Thanks for the kind words @NW Dive Dawg
We had tried all kinds of things ourselves before the DRYFOB too, most didn’t inspire our confidence. Haven’t looked back since. Mine is almost 3 years old now and done hundreds of dives. The peace of mind not worrying about the car or the key makes the dive that much more enjoyable. We really appreciate everyone’s support.

For sure there are other good solutions out there too. Some custom canisters, other depth rated solutions, removing the electronic part of the key, heavy duty hitch locks etc. etc.

One note about repurposing. Some of the larger dive lights or camera housings, especially if larger/plastic, are depth rated with the inner cavity filled with the intended devices (camera, battery etc.). The empty housing may not withstand the same depth with the larger air volume. They’re probably ok to a decent level assuming o-rings are good but might be safest to do some tests to intended depth before trusting these with your key or PLB.

I'm just back from my dive trip to Bonaire. A wonderful experience.
Buddy Dive Resort is excellent. The appartment, breakfast, the dive installations, the rental SUV, the system, the Buddy Reef, the personel, the restaurant, everything. No complain at all.
The van was a Renault Oroch with manual gear. With the van we were given a drybox for the key. The van's key was an electronic one with remote closure and alarm.
In the reception briefing we were told to leave the van open with the windows down and to leave nothing valuable inside. We had no single problem during the 5 days of diving.
We did many dives (and all 5 night dives) in the Buddy Reef.
The resort was almost full. Almost everyone of the resort's personel speaks spanish, so, everything was quite easy.
The Resort dive store was also well provided and with reasonable prices.
The water temperature was constant in the range of 27 to 29 °C. Visibility was near 50 meters. We practically could see the stern of Hilma Hooker from the bow (72 meters long) !!!
Night dives at Buddy Reef seem to be like walking in downtown at dinner time. Way too croudy.
The last day we visited the Sorobon beach and the mangroves in the south east end of the island.
The weather was perfect. Only 5 rain drops one morning and then the sun was shining again.
Entering and exiting the water in the several sites we visited was not so gentle. Though almost no waves, the water was calm, but walking with all the gear in the stony beaches made it unpleasant. Only Oil Slick site with a nice shining Stainless steel stair made a perfect entry. Just like Buddy Reef entry.
Hilma Hooker wreck is incredible. I've enjoyed the dive and it was the only site, besides Buddy Reef, that we repeated.
Also Salt Pier was a wonderful dive. The pilars and the light made it memorable.
I don't know if I will ever visit Bonaire again. There are so many dive destinations in my wish list. This was one near the top.

I don't know if I will ever visit Bonaire again. There are so many dive destinations in my wish list. This was one near the top.
Your report makes us want to go back again ... we also loved that easy access house reef :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom