First time in Bonaire - solo traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasheep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I'm a woman traveling to Bonaire on my own for 9 days starting November 1, and plan to dive on about half those days.

I've rented an airbnb in town (not waterfront), and am figuring out my diving strategy. I've probably done 75 dives total in my life, and haven't gone diving in 3 years, so maybe a refresher course is in order. And I need to rent equipment.

I'm noticing that on Bonaire, people are renting trucks and paying for weekly unlimited tanks. It sounds like they must be just shore diving on their own, rather than with a divemaster.

Anyway, I realized I have questions! I'd love to hear your input:::

1) Which dive shop do you most recommend for equipment rental, boat dives and guided dives with a divemaster? My airbnb is owned by someone who works at Buddy Dive, so they could hook me up there.

2) Are shore dives generally done on one's own, or can you go with a divemaster?

3) Do people just rent trucks and go diving wherever they want on the shore?

I'd love to hear your insight on these questions, or anything else you might want to add about Bonaire and diving.

Thank you!

Hi!

I'm a woman traveling to Bonaire on my own for 9 days starting November 1, and plan to dive on about half those days.

I've rented an airbnb in town (not waterfront), and am figuring out my diving strategy. I've probably done 75 dives total in my life, and haven't gone diving in 3 years, so maybe a refresher course is in order. And I need to rent equipment.

I'm noticing that on Bonaire, people are renting trucks and paying for weekly unlimited tanks. It sounds like they must be just shore diving on their own, rather than with a divemaster.

Anyway, I realized I have questions! I'd love to hear your input:::

1) Which dive shop do you most recommend for equipment rental, boat dives and guided dives with a divemaster? My airbnb is owned by someone who works at Buddy Dive, so they could hook me up there.

2) Are shore dives generally done on one's own, or can you go with a divemaster?

3) Do people just rent trucks and go diving wherever they want on the shore?

I'd love to hear your insight on these questions, or anything else you might want to add about Bonaire and diving.

Thank you!
A refresher would be an excellent idea.

You will need transportation of some kind.

1) Buddy Dive would work out fine.
2) Almost always on your own, no guide, but you could hire one through BD.
3) Yes, although there are dozens of marked dive sites.

A refresher would be an excellent idea.

You will need transportation of some kind.

1) Buddy Dive would work out fine.
2) Almost always on your own, no guide, but you could hire one through BD.
3) Yes, although there are dozens of marked dive sites.
Thanks so much Tursiops!

Yes, that's normally what happens: you just jump in and splash around looking at stuff. On boat dives there will be a dive master and you'll get paired up with a buddy, so you might want to stick to boats. They tend to go to Klein Bonaire and a couple of Northern sites that aren't easy to get to from shore, though, so you may may miss the more iconic sites like Salt Pier or Hilma if you do that.

Dive Friends Bonaire is the big shop with multiple locations, they run boats and courses and rent gear, but your landlord may get you a better deal at Buddy's.

There is a message board at DFB's Den Laman/Sand Dollar shop where people leave "looking for buddy" notes, I expect Buddy's would have a similar one. You may be able to find buddies for a shore dive that way.

You'll need transportation to get from the city to Buddy's and if you go shore diving: big enough to haul gear (you can rent scooters golf carts, etc.) Rumour has it some car rental agencies may hit you with a cleaning fee if you get sand in the car, so be careful if renting from a "non-diving" place like avis.

I suggest you boat dive the 1st day after refresher and you will meet people that you can dive with. They may be solo diver on boat upu can buddyup with and maybe do some shore diving. There's alot of people shore diving at buddy dive off there dock. Just ask if they don't mind you joining. Don't shore dive solo unless certified to solo and have bailout pony. You will meet alot of people to dive with at Buddy Dive quickly as long as you chat it up on boat that you are a solo diver looking for Diving buddy.

Yes, that's normally what happens: you just jump in and splash around looking at stuff. On boat dives there will be a dive master and you'll get paired up with a buddy, so you might want to stick to boats. They tend to go to Klein Bonaire and a couple of Northern sites that aren't easy to get to from shore, though, so you may may miss the more iconic sites like Salt Pier or Hilma if you do that.

Dive Friends Bonaire is the big shop with multiple locations, they run boats and courses and rent gear, but your landlord may get you a better deal at Buddy's.

There is a message board at DFB's Den Laman/Sand Dollar shop where people leave "looking for buddy" notes, I expect Buddy's would have a similar one. You may be able to find buddies for a shore dive that way.

You'll need transportation to get from the city to Buddy's and if you go shore diving: big enough to haul gear (you can rent scooters golf carts, etc.) Rumour has it some car rental agencies may hit you with a cleaning fee if you get sand in the car, so be careful if renting from a "non-diving" place like avis.
Thank you. This is really helpful information!

I suggest you boat dive the 1st day after refresher and you will meet people that you can dive with. They may be solo diver on boat upu can buddyup with and maybe do some shore diving. There's alot of people shore diving at buddy dive off there dock. Just ask if they don't mind you joining. Don't shore dive solo unless certified to solo and have bailout pony. You will meet alot of people to dive with at Buddy Dive quickly as long as you chat it up on boat that you are a solo diver looking for Diving buddy.
Thank you. This is a great idea!

Hope you're having a great trip!

I'm looking to do the same. Solo male. In early 2024. Any tips for me?

Hope you're having a great trip!

I'm looking to do the same. Solo male. In early 2024. Any tips for me?
I had a great trip, thanks.

I stayed at an airbnb and rented a car and drove to the resorts to dive with their dive boats. I also rented gear at the shops when I did. It all felt kind of complicated. If I was doing it again, I'd just stay at a resort because things would have been a lot simpler with diving and dive equipment being right outside my door. I mostly dove with Buddy Dive and that seemed like a good place to stay. I'm sure Dive Friends and some others would be good to stay at too.

I kept trying to find a dive buddy to do shore diving with, but my schedule never lined up with the people I was talking to. I think if I'd stayed at a resort, I'd have been more likely to meet others to go shore diving with, or just socialize with.

Also, I rented a scooter at first and it stalled out in the rain on my way to a dive boat lol. I hitchhiked to the boat. I would NOT rent a scooter on the island -- it's more of a car island I feel.

The same place rented me a car that broke down kind of far from town at nightfall. That wasn't the best. Then mechanics finally picked me up. The car was in such bad shape it could have blown up on me and needed a new motor. If you rent a car I'd definitely rent from someone who has newer ones. Buddy Dive looked like they had decent trucks.

The Donkey Sanctuary was a fun non-diving excursion.

Have fun on your trip!

I had a great trip, thanks.

I stayed at an airbnb and rented a car and drove to the resorts to dive with their dive boats. I also rented gear at the shops when I did. It all felt kind of complicated. If I was doing it again, I'd just stay at a resort because things would have been a lot simpler with diving and dive equipment being right outside my door. I mostly dove with Buddy Dive and that seemed like a good place to stay. I'm sure Dive Friends and some others would be good to stay at too.

I kept trying to find a dive buddy to do shore diving with, but my schedule never lined up with the people I was talking to. I think if I'd stayed at a resort, I'd have been more likely to meet others to go shore diving with, or just socialize with.

Also, I rented a scooter at first and it stalled out in the rain on my way to a dive boat lol. I hitchhiked to the boat. I would NOT rent a scooter on the island -- it's more of a car island I feel.

The same place rented me a car that broke down kind of far from town at nightfall. That wasn't the best. Then mechanics finally picked me up. The car was in such bad shape it could have blown up on me and needed a new motor. If you rent a car I'd definitely rent from someone who has newer ones. Buddy Dive looked like they had decent trucks.

The Donkey Sanctuary was a fun non-diving excursion.

Have fun on your trip!
Good report.
Bottom line: If you want the services of a resort (good equipment readily obtained, simplicity, buddies), then stay at a resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom