First time in Bonaire - solo traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great trip, thanks.

I stayed at an airbnb and rented a car and drove to the resorts to dive with their dive boats. I also rented gear at the shops when I did. It all felt kind of complicated. If I was doing it again, I'd just stay at a resort because things would have been a lot simpler with diving and dive equipment being right outside my door. I mostly dove with Buddy Dive and that seemed like a good place to stay. I'm sure Dive Friends and some others would be good to stay at too.

I kept trying to find a dive buddy to do shore diving with, but my schedule never lined up with the people I was talking to. I think if I'd stayed at a resort, I'd have been more likely to meet others to go shore diving with, or just socialize with.

Also, I rented a scooter at first and it stalled out in the rain on my way to a dive boat lol. I hitchhiked to the boat. I would NOT rent a scooter on the island -- it's more of a car island I feel.

The same place rented me a car that broke down kind of far from town at nightfall. That wasn't the best. Then mechanics finally picked me up. The car was in such bad shape it could have blown up on me and needed a new motor. If you rent a car I'd definitely rent from someone who has newer ones. Buddy Dive looked like they had decent trucks.

The Donkey Sanctuary was a fun non-diving excursion.

Have fun on your trip!
Thank you so much for the quick and detailed reply. I will look at a resort. And might go on a liveaboard instead. It sounds like it's more work to go solo on an island.
Until I have 100 logged dives and can become solo certified, that is. Honestly I can't wait to do that.

Thank you so much for the quick and detailed reply. I will look at a resort. And might go on a liveaboard instead. It sounds like it's more work to go solo on an island.
Until I have 100 logged dives and can become solo certified, that is. Honestly I can't wait to do that.
You're very welcome. Yes, I feel like it's more work to be solo on the island, at least if you're in an airbnb, or not at a dive resort. I would only go again if I was going with another person so I could go shore diving with a buddy. Have a great trip!

Thank you for the detailed report of your solo experience. I just lost my dive buddy of 28 years because of divorce, so a lot of solo trips in my future.

I think if I'd stayed at a resort, I'd have been more likely to meet others to go shore diving with, or just socialize with.
I haven't gone solo (yet), but the bar/restaurant at Buddy Dive always had a lot of people/activity in the evenings, and it didn't seem to be exclusive to guests. If it is, if most are, then yes, I would say you need to stay there to take advantage of that social aspect.

For others -- if you can go during a cleanup dive (I think Dive Friends organizes at least one per year), you have the chance to meet over 100 fellow divers at the cleanup and then also usually a celebration that night with food and drinks.

Thank you for the detailed report of your solo experience. I just lost my dive buddy of 28 years because of divorce, so a lot of solo trips in my future.

I haven't gone solo (yet), but the bar/restaurant at Buddy Dive always had a lot of people/activity in the evenings, and it didn't seem to be exclusive to guests. If it is, if most are, then yes, I would say you need to stay there to take advantage of that social aspect.

For others -- if you can go during a cleanup dive (I think Dive Friends organizes at least one per year), you have the chance to meet over 100 fellow divers at the cleanup and then also usually a celebration that night with food and d

Ah, shopguy, I hear you. I've been diving solo for 13 years, since my divorce, and it's gone very well! Bonaire was kind of complicated, for reasons mentioned, but just about everywhere else was easy! Just watch out for yourself if they don't pair you with someone, as not all dive masters watch out for the solo diver as much as one might want. I wish you well on your solo trips!

Good report. For those without a natural buddy who aspire to do the solo course one doesn't need to wait till 100 dives to start diving like a solo diver would even with other people. You won't be certified till you complete the course but you can start to dive with redundant air now.

Diving redurndant and practice with the solo skills may turn the instabuddy experience into something less frightful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom