Bonaire Dive logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim See

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are heading to Bonaire for the first time Dec. 21st and we're are looking forward to a warm water diving binge.

I've read on scubaboard that it is best to take everything with you on each dive leaving nothing in the vehicle just to be safe.

My question for all the regular Bonaire divers is: What do you do about gear bags and save-dive-kits?

Thanks for in advance for your thoughts.

It was my experience in Bonaire that you simply left the gear bags and save a dive kits in the truck. Nothing happened to anybody in our group. Just take only as much gear as you are going to need for the dives. We regularly carried a cooler with drinks and snacks as well.

I think that so long as you don't leave and exposed wallet or other big ticket item laying around that you will be ok.

IMO

Gear bags are not required. Load your gear in the rear of the truck or the back seat.

Save a dive kits. We did not worry about this too much. The items in the save a dive kit are relatively inexpensive. You don't need too much. We had a small mesh bag that we took with us and left in the truck. It had some small items: a couple of o-rings, etc. Heck, if something breaks it is really only a short drive back to your resort (unless you are up near Karpata where the road is one way).

For clothing we just wore our swim suits with a t-shirt and put an old towel on the vehicle seat. For shoes we had a cheap pair of sandals. Cheap sunglasses are best - don't take your Ray Bans or any expensive type. We carried no money.

As for identification, we put tags on our BCD along with the Marine Park tag indicating our name and where we were staying. We did not carry any other cards or licences - they are not needed.

Our room keys were the card type. The vehicle keys did not have an electronic device on them. We carried both in a small waterproof pouch in a BCD pocket.

The only other item I suggest is to carry a large plastic bottle of water. It does get warm, but that is better than getting dehydrated if you are away from your room.

I left nothing of any value in the truck. My gear bag was fine, as well as any save-a-dive stuff. (Can't imagine there's a huge black market on o-rings.) You're never that far from your hotel room on Bonaire anyways, so if there's anything you have that's valuable (i.e. credit cards, cash, etc.) or you don't wish to spend money replacing if stolen (i.e. cameras), just leave it in your room.

No need for them..the only thing I bring is a frozen water bottle and some spare o-rings.Your never to far from your hotel...
I know it seems weirdb but after a day or two it will seem normal?
Just dont leave anything behind that you wont miss if it dissapears...I left a dollar on the dash for two weeks to see if anyone would take it..no one did?

Have a great time! You will love Bonaire!
Drew

My question for all the regular Bonaire divers is: What do you do about gear bags and save-dive-kits?

Leave them in your room or locked the the gear storage locker at the dive shop.

If you don't trust them,leave the geargag in your hotel,do bring a save a dive kit.
As for the locals,we where there last time in jan.2006,There was a lot of rain,on a surtain dive i left the front/side window open,when we came back after the dive the window was closed and all the stuff was still there.
So the locals are not as bad as the boys back home.:coffee:

There is really no need for gear bags or save-a-dive kits for that matter. At most I take a couple of extra tank Orings and I rarely need them. Between checking the tanks at the air station and carrying an extra tank, Orings have not been a problem. Other gear I leave in the room. Rarely are you more than 15 minutes from your hotel room and given that I rarely have a problem I just don't see the need for spare parts at the dive site. Dive shops are all over this island so stopping by one for a part is not out of the question either.....they take wet money with no problem :)

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are heading to Bonaire for the first time Dec. 21st and we're are looking forward to a warm water diving binge.

I've read on scubaboard that it is best to take everything with you on each dive leaving nothing in the vehicle just to be safe.

Thanks for in advance for your thoughts.

All you'll need are your tanks, BC, regs, fins, mask, watch/computer and exposure suit if you need it. There's no need to take a gearbag or save a dive kit to Bonaire.I take only the gear I will have on, one towel and a couple of bottles of water out to the dive sites :palmtree: Bob

There is really no need for gear bags or save-a-dive kits for that matter. At most I take a couple of extra tank Orings and I rarely need them. Between checking the tanks at the air station and carrying an extra tank, Orings have not been a problem. Other gear I leave in the room. Rarely are you more than 15 minutes from your hotel room and given that I rarely have a problem I just don't see the need for spare parts at the dive site. Dive shops are all over this island so stopping by one for a part is not out of the question either.....they take wet money with no problem :)

What he said, no need to retype it. travel light, o rings on a string in a BC pocket just in case.

Do make it a point to double check your gear as it goes form room to truck again and again. I got to a dive site one time without a regulator. Happily we had met up with a local who had a spare in his truck.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom