Bonaire - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it is a Shearwater so it has to be correct... haha
Shearwater doesn't even provide a temperature accuracy specification!

Calibrate it if you care,

I'm in Bonaire now, carrying two Shearwaters. On my last dive today my Teric read 86F, my Perdix read 84F.
Current sea water temperature in Bonaire says 85.3F.
Kralendijk Water Temperature | Bonaire | Sea Temperatures says 85.1F.
My home calibration says the Teric reads 1 degF high, the Perdix reads 1 degF low.

I think the water temp here right now is about 85F.....

OK....I'll bite....what are board shorts?

PS..... I dive Bonaire in a full rashy......provides no thermal protection or buoyancy....but protects from jellies / sea wasps......which were definitely there in May. Also, avg surface water temps were about 80F - 81F in May. Guess things have warmed up since then....

Best dives for low SCTLD are in the North....north of Oil Slick; La Dania's Leap today was magnificent. Huge fields of 100% heathy coral cover.
Nice image, tursiops. Thanks! By implication . . . Salt Pier, e.g., or other southerly sites are visibly afflicted?

Nice image, tursiops. Thanks! By implication . . . Salt Pier, e.g., or other southerly sites are visibly afflicted?
Haven't been to a lot of far southern sites yet. Salt Pier today had some visible lesions.

Have not been to Bonaire in a while, but was alwa6s one of my favorits. Saying that I agree with alot of the comments, it can be boring for a non-diver.

Just back from 2 1/2 weeks on Bonaire. The SCTLD impact varies from site to site. You definitely notice it; however, it does not impact the entire reef. Bonaire diving is still awesome! Southern (far South - Margate Bay and beyond) sites are diving better this year than Northern sites, in my opinion. Like others have noted, computer temp readings of 86F the entire trip, the warmest I’ve experienced on Bonaire. Disinfecting gear (regardless of opinion of effectiveness) is no big deal. Our house had a rinse tank we used with the disinfectant, and I purchased extra rinse buckets (very large) for fresh water at Kooyman for $12 each. There’s a little more planning involved with the color coding system for dive sites, but it’s not too much of an impediment. The map changed 3 or 4 times during my stay, so make sure to check it daily.

In regards to comments that there’s nothing to do for non-divers, I couldn’t disagree more. There’s tons to do and see on Bonaire! Especially for people who like to be active, see things, are adventurous and lIke to explore. Liz and I had a non-diving friend with us this trip. She‘s a snorkeler and of course enjoyed that aspect of Bonaire, but she was blown away and surprised by how much she enjoyed everything else about the island. Don’t hesitate to bring non-divers with you. And hey, take the gear off once in a while and do some exploring yourself. You may be surprised too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom