Bonaire going down the drain??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Bonaire....

we saw Stinapa divers out at Oil Slick leap, underwater, killing lionfish (they had a big bag full). But this is right next to their headqtrs bldg. I didn't see any of them anywhere else. At Buddy's we were told that each dive shop is responsible to clean up their own reef of lionfish as the Stinapa guys just can't keep up on their own. Our DM said he sweeps the reef there once a week.

another rumor we heard there, regarding the disappearance of lionfish... there may be a divers collecting them for sale. The read these boards, and ask at the dive shops where lionfish have been spotted, then they go in and catch them. This is just a rumor... I have no proof that it is what has happened. But it is odd that they are all gone. Seahorses are pretty rare, too.. One was found when we were there but I am not posting where it was seen, just in case.

robin

So let me get the straight. The OP is angry because people in another country are fishing in a place they are legally allowed to as they have for generations, because he knows better than they how things should be done and to heck with how they feel that they should run their own country.

A new spin off thread should be the world according to....

So let me get the straight. The OP is angry because people in another country are fishing in a place they are legally allowed to as they have for generations, because he knows better than they how things should be done and to heck with how they feel that they should run their own country.

A new spin off thread should be the world according to....

Just incredible isn't it? You can't make this stuff up. Some folks just think they know everything and love to get up on their soapbox to proclaim it to the world.
However more often than not, they generally proclaim something which I suspect they'd rather not. :shakehead:

LOL...frogfish for sale...don't think that is a very plausible story on Bonaire.

I am studying Bonaire..it is part of a life study. Mitri, if you would like to support my study of Bonaire, please send around $3000.00 to me and I will personal visit the island for 7 days, and I promise to only engage in diving activities while there.

I will document and take pictures of all the sites I visit. When I return I will write a report detailing what I found and I will include the pictures for all to see.

I will also interview the local divers and record that as well.

I do accept paypal.

Thanks,

Jason

Sorry, but I continue to disagree with you. Marine parks are created to PROTECT fish, not for fishing.
Bonaire is a good example how NOT to run a Marine Park, but on the other hand, it is a typical example of what happens when corrupt societies and governments are in charge.

By the way, we are currently on Bonaire and counted a total of 8 local guys spear fishing on April, 3rd, a sad record even for Bonaire, not to mention the fishing boats.
And incidentally the local Newspaper "The Reporter" has published a letter to the editor, in which concerned divers are raising their voices because of the brazen fishing activities in the Marine Park, including the voice of Capt. Don, bitterly complaining about the stupidy of locals going after the reef fishes.
Enjoy your fish:eyebrow:
You just went from pathetic for chosen ignorance to Troll... :shakehead:

Sorry, but I continue to disagree with you. Marine parks are created to PROTECT fish, not for fishing.
Bonaire is a good example how NOT to run a Marine Park, but on the other hand, it is a typical example of what happens when corrupt societies and governments are in charge.
By the way, we are currently on Bonaire and counted a total of 8 local guys spear fishing on April, 3rd, a sad record even for Bonaire, not to mention the fishing boats.
And incidentally the local Newspaper "The Reporter" has published a letter to the editor, in which concerned divers are raising their voices because of the brazen fishing activities in the Marine Park, including the voice of Capt. Don, bitterly complaining about the stupidy of locals going after the reef fishes.
Enjoy your fish:eyebrow:

Cant argue with "logic" like that.... thoese "stupid" locals. Imagine fishing in their own waters like the generations before them with a hook and line... how dare they. I mean even if it is perfectly legal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom