Bonaire going down the drain??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we should introduce a new species that eats lionfish :D

Unfortunately that concept is not a new one, it has been tried many times before in history, and rarely works as planned when the newly introduced predator goes 'off script' and prefers to eat something else other than the thing it's 'supposed' to be eating, creating yet another problem! OPPS !!! (Outside Predator Prefers Substitute)

Unfortunately that concept is not a new one, it has been tried many times before in history, and rarely works as planned when the newly introduced predator goes 'off script' and prefers to eat something else other than the thing it's 'supposed' to be eating, creating yet another problem! OPPS !!! (Outside Predator Prefers Substitute)

I was joking. I am familiar with episodes like the Australian cane toad debacle.

I was joking. I am familiar with episodes like the Australian cane toad debacle.

Please do not joke on this forum. This is a very serious forum. One dedicated to sharing knowledge of scuba diving amongst our peers. One common place to visit to enlighten the new divers, refresh the old divers (Walter), and to just sit back and enjoy each other.

No, he is trying to make a point about my post....instead of saying he didn't agree with my view..he decided to make an apples to oranges comparison for affect.

Locals fishing from shore vs locals stealing from parked cars..... :rofl3:

thanks for enlightening me :D

Please do not joke on this forum. This is a very serious forum. One dedicated to sharing knowledge of scuba diving amongst our peers. One common place to visit to enlighten the new divers, refresh the old divers (Walter), and to just sit back and enjoy each other.

:lol:

No one expects that divers will clear the Caribbean of LF. They can however keep their numbers down on the reefs that divers frequent. When their numbers grow much larger, we will be able to economically harvest them with rov's and/or tech divers, and/or slave divers like the Honduran lobstermen(see the article in DAN's magazine).

Here is a clip of cooking and eating LF. Sorry for the background noise, it's the compressors running

mitridate To your original point, Your opinion of Bonaire going to crap over the last 20 years must be put in context. What hasn't gone to hell in the last 20 years? Bonaire only seem bad to you because you are comparing the present state to the past conditions you experienced. If you simply change your perspective and compare the present condition to what it will be like 20 years from now, you will realize how sweet it is.

Next time you travel bring your oldest clothes and leave them behind for those who have not. If it makes you feel better you can leave said clothing in your pickup for easy pilfering by locals so as not to upset the normal method of clothing exchange.

slave divers??

think we can get KLM stewardesses to bring their old clothes but leave them behind?

mitridate To your original point, Your opinion of Bonaire going to crap over the last 20 years must be put in context. What hasn't gone to hell in the last 20 years? Bonaire only seem bad to you because you are comparing the present state to the past conditions you experienced. If you simply change your perspective and compare the present condition to what it will be like 20 years from now, you will realize how sweet it is.

Is that not true everywhere? "If you think things are bad now, just wait."
Someday these will be the good old days, that they wish they had not missed, for somebody else. Always has been that way.

think we can get KLM stewardesses to bring their old clothes but leave them behind?

:) wonder if they need some help :D

Next time you travel bring your oldest clothes and leave them behind for those who have not. If it makes you feel better you can leave said clothing in your pickup for easy pilfering by locals so as not to upset the normal method of clothing exchange.

Your approach to what happens on Bonaire is quite unusual. Comparing the present with to what it may look like in 20 years from now would make all ongoing efforts to save of what little is left due to human interference and ignorance void, not a good idea :no:

Leaving my old clothes in my pick-up for "easy pilfering by locals", why on earth should one do this??? To support their criminal approach???
I have to been many places around the world, where people are living under much worth condition than the locals on Bonaire, with no social welfare programs provided by the Dutch government and the EU (which is a scandal on its own!).
But these very poor guys never came up with the idea to steal from us or others because we had items they didn't have.
Pride and common sense prevailed.
Unfortunately (I know this becomes touchy now) this did not apply to places where the locals had African roots, like many other islands in the Caribbean (Curacao!!) and Pacific seas, USA and certain places in Europe, naturally in Africa (I spent many years of my professional life in Africa and could write books about this issue).
Stealing is part of their daily life for most of them, in Africa we had to live in camps with big fences and armed guards, not funny at all.

Coming back to Bonaire, the building industry is thriving, strangely enough you will hardly see locals working, almost all workers (untrained as well) are "imported" from South America, there would be lots of jobs for the locals they, but obviously it is easier and less strenuous for them to live from social payments.
They should better work and earn money, in that case there would be no need to steal t-shirts from tourists.
A last remark, the prison on Bonaire is currently expanded to double it's capacity to 400 persons, Bonaire's population is around 15.000. The ratio prisoner/resident is almost a world record by itself:(.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom