Trip Report Bonaire March 2024–Dead reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is more representative of the coral after the drop off.

Attachments

• IMG_2668.jpeg
    IMG_2668.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 97
Photos from Karpata and 1000 steps. I am not driven to destroy Bonaire’s reefs’ reputation. I am saddened by what I see and I am just sharing what I see. Again, if I had received accurate information, I would not have taken a dive trip to Bonaire given the state of the reefs. Of course, anyone can visit and decide (once here) if they find the reefs to be healthy. In my opinion, the devastation is alarming.

I am sure the devastation is extensive and tragic. Thanks for the images. I'd say your image 3657 is a healthy lobed star coral, orbicella annularis (identified as "moderately susceptible," so maybe some will go the distance), and that the white areas are some form of usual predation. #3491 looks like a healthy yellow pencil coral, Madracis mirabilis, which is not identified as SCTLD prey. The other images are horrible sad, to my eye. Early on in the SCTLD era, I sent AGRRA some pictures (from Klein, as I recall) that seemed to me to be candidates for SCTLD, and they let me know they thought it was parrotfish predation. It's a rough world down there.

Here's a site which has a lot of photos of SCTLD progression. Since Bonaire is one year this month into its SCTLD pandemic, it's not getting better anytime soon.

I am sure the devastation is extensive and tragic. Thanks for the images. I'd say your image 3657 is a healthy lobed star coral, orbicella annularis (identified as "moderately susceptible," so maybe some will go the distance), and that the white areas are some form of usual predation. #3491 looks like a healthy yellow pencil coral, Madracis mirabilis, which is not identified as SCTLD prey. The other images are horrible sad, to my eye. Early on in the SCTLD era, I sent AGRRA some pictures (from Klein, as I recall) that seemed to me to be candidates for SCTLD, and they let me know they thought it was parrotfish predation. It's a rough world down there.

Here's a site which has a lot of photos of SCTLD progression. Since Bonaire is one year this month into its SCTLD pandemic, it's not getting better anytime soon.
Alice in Wonderland is, unfortunately, no longer a wonderland. Taken on March 28-2024. Zoom in to see the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_3911.jpeg
    IMG_3911.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3912.jpeg
    IMG_3912.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3913.jpeg
    IMG_3913.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3914.jpeg
    IMG_3914.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 88
Been following this thread. And of course it's upsetting. But what is the choice? Give up diving in the Caribbean? I will be back there in May and will enjoy getting together with old friends, the weather and yes diving. We've dove enough in fishless, zero viz lakes, etc so whatever the negative changes in Bonaire, its still better!!!

Been following this thread. And of course it's upsetting. But what is the choice? Give up diving in the Caribbean? I will be back there in May and will enjoy getting together with old friends, the weather and yes diving. We've dove enough in fishless, zero viz lakes, etc so whatever the negative changes in Bonaire, it’s still better!!!
I share your sentiment. Obviously, my wife does as well since she had me book next years trip within a week of returning home this past February. And, we’re not alone given that there are only 4 units still available out of the 16 at Den Laman for the time period that we will be there.

Erik

Also, it will still look wonderful to new divers.
True - for now. I don't want to be all doom and gloom. But the changes I've seen to Little Cayman (2018 to 2024 - and first trip in 1995) and Bonaire (2022 to 2023 and first trip in 1998) for reef and fish life is downright scary to me for what may be around in 10 years even. I love diving, but these trips are causing me great sadness and depression when I think about it.

Been following this thread. And of course it's upsetting. But what is the choice? Give up diving in the Caribbean? I will be back there in May and will enjoy getting together with old friends, the weather and yes diving. We've dove enough in fishless, zero viz lakes, etc so whatever the negative changes in Bonaire, its still better!!!
I've been diving on Bonaire for a week now and this is my first time here. So far mainly in the north. It's really devastating how damaged the reefs are. I can't yet confirm that some people here can report healthy corals. 1000 Steps today felt like 95% of it was dead. I am still surprised that there are still so many fish. Karpata was a little better, as there were several soft corals. At the beginning of the year it was even worse in the south of Mexico on the border with Belize, where there weren't even any fish to be found. Cozumel was thriving compared to Bonaire. Nevertheless, I meet many people here who rave about the reefs. Either they don't know any better, have never been diving anywhere else or are afraid of a collapse in tourism.

The national park has been quarantined and diving is prohibited until further notice.

I will follow your advice and explore the south from tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have already come to the conclusion that I no longer want to plan a diving vacation in the Caribbean and will only head towards the Indo-Pacific.

I've been diving on Bonaire for a week now and this is my first time here. So far mainly in the north. It's really devastating how damaged the reefs are. I can't yet confirm that some people here can report healthy corals. 1000 Steps today felt like 95% of it was dead. I am still surprised that there are still so many fish. Karpata was a little better, as there were several soft corals. At the beginning of the year it was even worse in the south of Mexico on the border with Belize, where there weren't even any fish to be found. Cozumel was thriving compared to Bonaire. Nevertheless, I meet many people here who rave about the reefs. Either they don't know any better, have never been diving anywhere else or are afraid of a collapse in tourism.

The national park has been quarantined and diving is prohibited until further notice.

I will follow your advice and explore the south from tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have already come to the conclusion that I no longer want to plan a diving vacation in the Caribbean and will only head towards the Indo-Pacific.
Definitely get yourself to the south! Vista Blue is our favorite site. Also for a totally different experience book a trip with East Coast Diving on the wild side and get to see dozens (or more) of turtles!

Back
Top Bottom