Trip Report Bonaire March 2024–Dead reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad to say…the reefs of Bonaire are dead. Currently in Bonaire—last here 5 years ago. The change is dramatic, in a bad and sad way. We dove Klein Bonaire, Salt Pier, and a house reef. All in terrible condition. Dead reef everywhere. If I had know this in Nov 2023 when I prepared my trip, I would have canceled. I think the Caribbean is doomed due to SCTLD and climate change. Only two green dive sites at the Southern tip. All others are orange and red. Cozumel and the East end of Cayman are better than Bonaire.

Trying Karpata, 1,000 Steps, and more boat dives off of Klein Bonaire tomorrow. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but not counting on it.

My recommendation: cancel if you have plans to dive Bonaire (and can still cancel). Sad situation. Don’t believe it if you hear that the reefs are nice. Ask for photos.
How Bonaire Is Fighting To Keep Its Number One Tourist Attraction

I wish that were the case, but sadly we only saw three during 30 hours of diving. On two different occasions (and locations) the rays swam into us head on. Fortunately they only made a slight coarse correction when they became aware of our presence. The other, pictured below with the pompanos, we saw on numerous dives having breakfast at Red Slave.

View attachment 835520

Wow. I am just stunned. The reefs are so bad they are just gone now? :)

Lovely pic of an eagle ray.

Wow. I am just stunned. The reefs are so bad they are just gone now? :)

Lovely pic of an eagle ray.
Alright, nothing to see here, move along, go home and stay home... :wink:
Thanks! Here's the third one.

IMG_0433.jpeg

I agree the new construction on the island is unrelenting, but this article is a wee bit hyperbolic and self-righteous. Moreover, it ignores one of the worst offenders for destroying the temperament and appeal of Bonaire. The five to six CRUISE SHIPS assailing the island every week is very disruptive for divers. The endless parade of scooters, golf carts, utility vehicles, motorcycles, tour vans, converted school buses and massive motor coaches carting the "portly" passengers all over the narrow roads of the island is maddening.

IMG_0396.jpeg

Just a small sample of the negative reviews of diving in Bonaire. I haven't really mined any other related threads, though a quick glance reveals a lot of the same sentiments.

The positive rebuttals to these statements tend towards the, "Yeah, it's not great but it's better than diving the crap at home. Plus, if you're a noob, there's stuff to look at."

LOL.
You included my post as a negative one. Yes, the large brain corals are dead. Some sites are really bad. However, some are still awesome (not telling which). The 2025 six week trip is on and I'm sure I'll love it.

You included my post as a negative one. Yes, the large brain corals are dead. Some sites are really bad. However, some are still awesome (not telling which). The 2025 six week trip is on and I'm sure I'll love it.
Not sure why you would bait folks but not reveal the better sites. Keeping them to yourself for another year?

Not sure why you would bait folks but not reveal the better sites. Keeping them to yourself for another year?
Shhhh, it's Salt Pier. :p If that's it I can attest it's no longer a secret! The site is completely overrun with tourists, sunbathers, snorkelers and divers.

At Salt Pier there is a large wooden box filled beyond capacity with salt crystals offering tourists a little souvenir. We typically drove past it four times a day on our way to and from the southern dive sites. Throughout the day, especially in the morning, we noticed vehicles abruptly stopping in the middle of the road, a jammed packed parking lot and people lined up at that box. By late afternoon the box appeared pretty empty. Sadly the same thought filled my dark twisted cynical mind every time we drove by...the last thing most of these people need is more salt.

Shhhh, it's Salt Pier. :p If that's it I can attest it's no longer a secret! The site is completely overrun with tourists, sunbathers, snorkelers and divers.

At Salt Pier there is a large wooden box filled beyond capacity with salt crystals offering tourists a little souvenir. We typically drove past it four times a day on our way to and from the southern dive sites. Throughout the day, especially in the morning, we noticed vehicles abruptly stopping in the middle of the road, a jammed packed parking lot and people lined up at that box. By late afternoon the box appeared pretty empty. Sadly the same thought filled my dark twisted cynical mind every time we drove by...the last thing most of these people need is more salt.
Ha, these are from the box. They've been sitting in a plastic bag in the kitchen cabinet for quite a while, we didn't have to wait in line back then.
1713378954208.png

Back
Top Bottom