Bonaire or Cozumel...if you had the choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennypue:
Yeah, but I'm going to be on Cozumel. :gr1:
Ahhh, Pue Pue

Are you going to miss Nobby?

Hi...I am planning to go to Mexico next September diving at Cozumel or Akumal....why I should go to Cozumel? I am no cave certified, but I guess there are some good places to go in Akumal that no need the certification...am I wrong? :crafty: :crafty:
Nobby:
Ahhh, Pue Pue
Nobby:
Are you going to miss Nobby?

Seems to me Rick covered it all very well. If someone told me I had a choice and had to make up my mind right then and there,Coz or Bonaire, Bonaire wins. YMMV

Nobby:
Hi everyone. I am looking for someone to tell me which of the above in thier opinion is best. I jus don't know, but I am flying from the UK andit seems a waste to go all that way and be only round the corner from the best diving. I have divied only once in Coz before but it was in 99 after Mitch had played havoc with Honduras and so the viz and currents were pretty bad. Please give me you honest opinions, and recommendations if necessary. Thanks in advance

No comparason. Bonaire is the best.

I do not know about the UK, but from the U.S. the flight to Coz is much shorter then to Bonaire. You lose 2 days of vacation, traveling. Also, it is cheaper to go to Coz. You can find some amazing deals.

Personally, I would probably pick Bonaire, because I was only there once. There is just tons more diving for me to do there. And lots of restaurants I have not tried yet. I feel I have barely scratched the surface.

Diving:I love the freedom of shore diving. But the diving in Coz is amazing.

So if one was to go to bonaire over coz, and was going by themselves how would they find a dive buddy to go diving with?

jaydub:
So if one was to go to bonaire over coz, and was going by themselves how would they find a dive buddy to go diving with?

Checkout http://www.bonairetalk.com/

Busy board that is all about Bonaire - Been there twice. Easiest diving on the planet. I am tired of the petty theft. Probably won't go back again.

http://photo.diverjoe.com

Check the pics for 2004 and 2005

I have not done Coz, but have many friends that have done it a lot. I'm going to Coz on their recommendation in Feb. 2006. I have done Bonaire, though. The food was just OK everywhere we ate, and the service was very slow, but we didn't really care. Not much in the way of night life, so if you want to party, not the place to go. Of friends that have dove both places, most prefer the diving in Cozumel. Shore diving is nice in Bonaire and you can get much more diving in for the price but it's much more work, especially if you have some windy conditions. We got pretty beat up several times trying to do beach entries. As far as bottom time goes, all the places in Bonaire only use 80 aluminum tanks. If you get the right dive op in Coz, you'll be using steel 120's for plenty of bottom time. We plan on using Living Underwater. Aldora dive op also is known for fast boats and larger tanks, but Living Underwater is a bit cheaper, provides a few more comforts, and are a little more flexible. They'll pretty much pick you up whenever you want and they don't charge more for twilight and night dives. Also, reviews show that they're good at tayloring dive sites to what you want to do, so if you want a nice slow dive, out of strong currents, they'll give it to you.

Which ever site you choose, I'm sure you'll have fun. Getting to Bonaire is another story. I'm willing to bet it would be easier to get to Coz.....and cheaper.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom