Bonaire report trip2; The good, the bad and the ugly.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report, to be honest it sounds like a lot of it was poor plaining on your part for going over the holidays. It's their holiday too you should have realized things won't be open or will be very busy. I appreciate the review though I will definitely not be staying at Den Laman though, the gear storage times is a HUGE deal breaker for me. I liked to be in the water by 7am.

....no offense...but there is no such thing s "it's their holiday too" in the hospitality industry.. we were disappointed with the service in bonaire as well...will be sticking to our favorite island curacao from now on.

Thanks for the report! We're heading down for our second trip to Bonaire in June/July

We felt much less welcome by the locals on this trip than the last but it could have been the holidays.

We had less than helpful service at one restaurant by the town pier until we told the waitress she had under-charged us and she realized we were not pod people.:shocked2:

Bonaire is a great, safe place to dive. Great things to do there, like rent a vehicle and do endless shore dives. Not a thing to worry about but just dive dive dive. Great place to visit. You can also get a great deal on a clean ,safe condo rental. Happy diving.

We had less than helpful service at one restaurant by the town pier until we told the waitress she had under-charged us and she realized we were not pod people.:shocked2:

We had a great experience at one of the larger grocery stores. Our instructor was celebrating his 30th birthday, so my wife and I skipped the morning dives to try to find cake and a card.

I can't remember the name of the store, but there was a nice local lady (not an employee) who saw our confusion and stopped shopping long enough to lead us around to find a decorated birthday cake and explain the prices. Then a few minutes later a young man helped us find paper plates and candles.

One day after lunch at the bar nearest Oilslick, the bartender brought our group (6 people) shots of Tequila and Curacao (on the house)...and that was after we had settled the tab.

The owner of the internet cafe next to Sand Dollar wouldn't charge us after we used a computer to check our email. He said we weren't on long enough and to just tell all our friends to use his services.

That must have been Michael at Chat -n- Browse! He's a GEM!! Next time you go, take him a can of Folger's coffee since he can't get it on island and loves the stuff.

Thanks for the report, to be honest it sounds like a lot of it was poor plaining on your part for going over the holidays. It's their holiday too you should have realized things won't be open or will be very busy. I appreciate the review though I will definitely not be staying at Den Laman though, the gear storage times is a HUGE deal breaker for me. I liked to be in the water by 7am.

....no offense...but there is no such thing s "it's their holiday too" in the hospitality industry.. we were disappointed with the service in bonaire as well...will be sticking to our favorite island curacao from now on.

We stayed at Den Lamen one time. Decent place, but the lack of access to gear room or air after hours is a deal killer for me. Even when we rent elsewhere, I do a shore pak threw Buddy, because of their 24/7 air/nitrox access.

I love quiet predawn solo, and last minute night dives with friends, and that requires either lots of planning, or 24/7 access. I prefer a bit more spontaneity when I am on Bonaire.

There are more Juvenal Smooth Trunk fish in Bonaire than any place I have been!
820__MG_0367_Juvy_Smooth_Trunk_fish_BA_12-09.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom