Bonaire - security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QueenAngel:
Personally speaking, NO dive destination has diving fantasic enough for me spend thousands of dollars, not to mention my precious holiday time, in a place who obviously has so little regard for thievary aimed against the dive community visiting the island. I have no intention of EVER going to Bonaire, if my entire vacation I must watch my personal belongings like a hawk. Taking normal precautions are one thing....Having to do so at the expense of my peace of mind...thats another. I will gladly take my holidays somewhere else. Bonaire should take a lesson from Jamacia.

Jamaica....are you kidding?? While there are some problems with petty crime on Bonaire and that's not nearly as bad as some would have you believe, it's a lot safer that Jamacia. I have and do travel all over the island of Bonaire and feel completely safe. I walk down side steets, both day and night with my wife, something I would never do if I felt threatened. Is that something you would do anywhere in Jamaica? I have made 2 trips this year, have a 3rd planned soon and have been on island every year since 1999. So far I have had NO problems. If you think Jamaica is safe, Bonaire is pure heaven. Here is a SMALL part of what the US Dept of State has to say about Jamacia, this was taken directly off their web site. I would not go to a place described like that armed. Bonaire is found under the heading of the Netherland Antellies. When reading the profile, remember that it includes Curacao which has a lot higher crime rate than Bonaire.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/jamaica.html

"CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern of a tourist is being a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables."

I just have to ask, exactly what do you do while in Jamacia, stay in the confines of an all inclusive resort? If so, then I guess you might be safer. Personally, I don't want to be couped up at one place. On Bonaire I travel all over the island by myself, eating in local restaurants, diving when and where I want and shopping in the local stores. I really believe that one of the reaons that Bonaire gets such a bad rap is because people actually get out and travel all over the island unaccompied, something that is very dangerous to do in many other places but on Bonaire is the accepted norm. The locals are warm,friendly people and I look forward to seeing many of them each time I return. Getting to know the real locals is a large part of what I like about Bonaire. Don't believe a lot of the hype you hear, if you miss experiencing Bonaire, you miss a lot. There is a reason that so many of us return year after year.

herman:
Jamaica....are you kidding?? While there are some problems with petty crime on Bonaire and that's not nearly as bad as some would have you believe, it's a lot safer that Jamacia. I have and do travel all over the island of Bonaire and feel completely safe. I walk down side steets, both day and night with my wife, something I would never do if I felt threatened. Is that something you would do anywhere in Jamaica? I have made 2 trips this year, have a 3rd planned soon and have been on island every year since 1999. So far I have had NO problems. If you think Jamaica is safe, Bonaire is pure heaven. Here is a SMALL part of what the US Dept of State has to say about Jamacia, this was taken directly off their web site. I would not go to a place described like that armed. Bonaire is found under the heading of the Netherland Antellies. When reading the profile, remember that it includes Curacao which has a lot higher crime rate than Bonaire.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/jamaica.html

"CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern of a tourist is being a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables."

I just have to ask, exactly what do you do while in Jamacia, stay in the confines of an all inclusive resort? If so, then I guess you might be safer. Personally, I don't want to be couped up at one place. On Bonaire I travel all over the island by myself, eating in local restaurants, diving when and where I want and shopping in the local stores. I really believe that one of the reaons that Bonaire gets such a bad rap is because people actually get out and travel all over the island unaccompied, something that is very dangerous to do in many other places but on Bonaire is the accepted norm. The locals are warm,friendly people and I look forward to seeing many of them each time I return. Getting to know the real locals is a large part of what I like about Bonaire. Don't believe a lot of the hype you hear, if you miss experiencing Bonaire, you miss a lot. There is a reason that so many of us return year after year.
Herman, By " Bonaire should take a lesson from Jamacia" it was ment precisely as you describe Jamacia. As in Bonaire should take a lesson from Jamacia, or run the risk of being a dangerous, unruly island , like Jamacia. Bonaire's thievry problems need to be taken in hand and dealt with very very soon, else their reputation will suffer irretreivable damage. I know some out there will deny that there is a problem on the island, and perhaps many of you have never had a problem in Bonaire, but where there is smoke, there's fire and in my opinion, Bonaire is about to burst in flame.
As for myself...I will still opt to spend my vacation somewhere that I don't have to worry about theft day and night.

This is all sad reading for me. This is my 7th winter living on Little Cayman, and I have never ever had a worry about theft. For the first few years, while I was still building my house here, I went away over the summer and left thousands of dollars worth of building materials lying around the yard. Never once was anything taken. But I do remember once a neighbor saw one of the islanders drive onto my lot, spend an hour or so, then drive away with a bunch of lumber in the back. She called me in CA right away! It turned out this was a fellow I had told I had a bunch of extra 2x4's, and if he needed any he should help himself and keep count. He did, and came to pay me for them as soon as I got back to Little Cayman in the fall.

I never lock the house while I'm here, and I'm away on the boats all day long. (I work as a divemaster at Little Cayman Beach Resort.) I always leave my keys in the truck, and anybody who wants can steal it. But where would he go with it? Theft is simply not a problem on Little Cayman. I guess that's one of the many reasons why I'm here!

Bruce

There has been a group of criminals running loose in Bonaire. On a small island like Bonaire those few people can really create a big problem. If you check out some of the latest news from Bonaire, they finally caught the group of 3 criminals and are working to make it the safe, friendly place so many of us love. There is some petty crime that will no doubt continue because the kids have lots of time on their hands and not much else to do. I found it interesting that the criminals were turned in by relatives that were concerned about the crime wave. It shows that the locals care, even if the police are little more than a joke.

Richard Thomas

If it is this bad everywhere, why isn't there a "thieves in cancun" thread, or a "thieves in (pick a spot) thread?

In part this is true, but it is worse some places than others. I will also choose to spend my money where the police are not part of the problem.

That may rule out some destinations. Oh well, only reduced revenues will change the situation.

I was planning a vacation to Bonaire, but since they have a problem with theft, I know a lot of safer places to go. I guess I have ruled out Bonaire till they solve their theft problems. I don't need hassels or worries while on vacation. I won't travel that far for a chance of having my dive equipment stolen. I have decided on Cayman Brac or Little Cayman.

I am so tired of hearing about Bonaire and theft. A lot of people make it sound like you can't walk down the street or park your vehicle anywhere without something being stolen or defaced all the time. NOT SO! We have been going to Bonaire for over 20 years have been fortunate to only have 1 minor problem - a cooler taken from the back of a pick up. Please!!!!!!! Where else are you unrestricted as far as your ability to dive? Is there any other island in the caribbean that you can truly dive from ANYWHERE, ANYTIME you want. Most islands you don't and shouldn't leave the resorts. That's why you don't hear about "crime" on other islands. Resorts are created on other islands so you don't have to leave... What fun is that? I personally love exploring the island and have found that I can walk ANYWHERE ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT on Bonaire and not be bothered. I'll take Bonaire anytime....as long as you use common sense you will be just fine.

ed3362:
I was planning a vacation to Bonaire, but since they have a problem with theft, I know a lot of safer places to go. I guess I have ruled out Bonaire till they solve their theft problems. I don't need hassels or worries while on vacation. I won't travel that far for a chance of having my dive equipment stolen. I have decided on Cayman Brac or Little Cayman.

No offense, but you are blowing things WAY out of proportion. I have been to Bonaire 8 times & had no problems whatsoever.

Are you sure you're not a troll?

Whats a troll? Do you like the diving on Bonaire? Are the good shore dives easy to locate? Is there a map for the dives?

My First question for everyone on here is where do you live? A suburb or a inner city?
Second is where in the usa does petty theft not happen all the time? (i cant seem to place any)
Third is why dont you here about petty theft on the news?

I have lived in Detroit about five minutes from the old tiger stadium. I'm here to tell you that petty theft happens form the grade school kids and high schoolers are selling drugs killing other gang members and stealing cars everyday. So people get a grip i have studied on bonaire over the last two months and one violent crime and "it was not against a tourist" that i can find total and the petty theft seem safer than most cities in the USA to me. Noe if you beg to differ take a drive into the inner city and leave your cell phone on your seat and see if you even have a car left when you come out from dinner. In Detroit they would strip yopur car and leave your cell phone just to spite you.

I am going to bonaire. I am going to enjoy the awesome diving that i have studied about and if petty theft happens to me than i guess i messed up, but after living in detroit for close to 30 years i kind of know not to leave anything i want to keep in my car. and as for the spare tire theft i am taking a bike lock even though the "full insurance cover tire theft on the vehicle.

As far as not hearing of petty theft on the news, Its because the murders and suicides and the wars going on take up all the time on the news. They are not going to tell of a purse being stolen when Joe Blow murdered another by drowning then buring the victim. They are going to tell of more news worthy things.
I have sice moved to a northern small town and eveyone claims they dont lock their doors. I treid it once and got my cds stolen and my nearest neighbor is half a mile down the road.

All in all in doesn't seem that bad over there after all i have read.
Thank you for listening to my @#$%^ session.

Back
Top Bottom