Bonaire solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should check out the WannaDive Hut. Real cheap accomodation. Not exactly resort amenities, more like a hostel type environment. They also have a little bar there and a real social environment so you will definitely be able to meet up with people there. If I were going to Bonaire solo on a limited budget that is where I would go.

7 nights hotel/ 6 days unlimited diving/ 7 days truck rental from $445. You really can't beat that.

http://www.wannadivehutbonaire.com/pagina.aspx?p=23#

As for diving solo since you are a new diver I'm not going to suggest it, but diving there is very straightforward. If you can set a reciprocal heading on a compass you will be fine there. But you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to dive with.

Last edited:
gNats:
You still need a buddy don't you? As a new diver, and having never dove those waters before, I don't think it would be a good idea to just walk into the surf by myself.

Diving with a buddy is a good idea, but leslief was looking for suggestions on how to get away from diving with dive masters.

Diving with a buddy is a good idea, but leslief was looking for suggestions on how to get away from diving with dive masters.

Sorry, how rude of me. You were speaking to the OP. sorry

Is solo diving frowned upon? I'll be going next October and my buddies sleep to a much more normal hour than I do. I solo at home occasionally but bringing my pony bottle would be crazy. Do any shops rent ponies?

Is solo diving frowned upon? I'll be going next October and my buddies sleep to a much more normal hour than I do. I solo at home occasionally but bringing my pony bottle would be crazy. Do any shops rent ponies?

Walt Stark at Rek Tec Scuba Rec Tek Scuba Bonaire - Equipment rentals - rebreather, deco, DIN, reg, doubles
could probably help you out.

Easiest thing to do is either not bother with the pony (lots to see at 30 feet) or sling a second 80 for deeper stuff.

Never had a question about me going solo, never had anybody even look askance at me.

I'd get up and go by myself every morning while my wife/daughters slept in. Then, come back, eat breakfast with them, and off we'd go for more.

As far as ponies go - Some ops have smaller tanks (60's?) - I know carib inn did a couple of years ago. If I felt the need (Hilma Hooker for instance) I'd sling one. Otherwise, just go and stay shallow. No need to go deep before daylight, anyway.

7 trips, 0 boat dives. Part of the attraction of bonaire for me is diving whenever/however I want.

Back
Top Bottom