Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - Delphins Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did a guided dive with Floor, a DFB Instructor, at Delfins last week, after doing a shore dive on DFB's house reef near the cruise port. Although I did not get to sample any of the resort's amenities other than the dive entry point, Delfins Resort looked very nice, and certainly more upscale than the Habitat, Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar, etc. But, I would not trade the stairs like is at the Habitat's dock for a more upscale Delfins resort experience. I guess I hit Delfins on a good day because the entry/exit was not particularly challenging, even with multiple joint replacements. However, because of the topography, I can see where it would likely kick your butt with any amount of surge beyond light.
Agreed, but this was a new diver (<20 dives) and first time in blue water with extra weights and a new hip. We all remember those first few dives. My personal gripe was the swim to the reef time.

I just did a guided dive with Floor, a DFB Instructor, at Delfins last week, after doing a shore dive on DFB's house reef near the cruise port. Although I did not get to sample any of the resort's amenities other than the dive entry point, Delfins Resort looked very nice, and certainly more upscale than the Habitat, Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar, etc. But, I would not trade the stairs like is at the Habitat's dock for a more upscale Delfins resort experience. I guess I hit Delfins on a good day because the entry/exit was not particularly challenging, even with multiple joint replacements. However, because of the topography, I can see where it would likely kick your butt with any amount of surge beyond light.
Floor is very nice, a good guide, and very knowledgeable about reef chemisty

Could you enter Bari reef via Sand $ pier?

Could you enter Bari reef via Sand $ pier?
I'm currently staying at Den Laman, the pier is only for owners and guests at Sand Dollar and Den Laman. Everybody else must use the dirt parking lot just to the south of Den Laman, next to the construction site for the new resort.

I'm currently staying at Den Laman, the pier is only for owners and guests at Sand Dollar and Den Laman. Everybody else must use the dirt parking lot just to the south of Den Laman, next to the construction site for the new resort.
Interesting...there was a time when they simply charged outsiders for using the pier.

Dive Friends at Delphins referred us to the Sand Dollar, so it was cool to use the Sand Dollar pier! I actually got the feeling that if you were a Dive Friends client they would let you slide in to their other resort locations, and I'm a negotiator so I typically do not have a problem. A smile, compliment and and $10 bill goes a long way!!

Dive Friends at Delphins referred us to the Sand Dollar, so it was cool to use the Sand Dollar pier! I actually got the feeling that if you were a Dive Friends client they would let you slide in to their other resort locations, and I'm a negotiator so I typically do not have a problem. A smile, compliment and and $10 bill goes a long way!!
It very much depends on the Dive Friends employee working at the pier, that you may or may not run into. For your checkout dive, for sure there would be no problem, if you were sent there. And, some of the Dive Friends staff seem to have the attitude that if you are a Dive Friends customer, then you have pier access. However, as @scubadada mentioned, the official rule is that the pier (for shore diving) is only available for customers staying at Den Laman or Sand Dollar resorts and the Dive Friends staff that are regularly stationed at that location are pretty consistent in asking people if they are staying at one or the other and advising them of the rule. Buddy Dive and Captain Don's seem to have similar approaches. Their piers and shore access for diving are there for their guests, but at times can be accessed by others. Sometimes with a fee and sometimes without and sometimes never (seems to depend on who you run into).

Excellent report @buffdiver - And you are correct regarding the Nitrox charge with Dive Friends. There is an up-charge. $200 for the week with Nitrox and $180 without. However, there is a 10% discount for repeat customers. Sometimes, you have to remind them of this and request your discount. That brings unlimited Nitrox down to $180 for the week.

Just a NOTE: Apparently the 10% discount for repeat customers only applies to packages (e.g. NOT tank cards) and must be applied at check-in. This was my 13th consecutive time using DF, and I was disappointed to not receive a discount on my tank card when I brought it up on checkout.
This was the first time I didn’t receive a discount during a repeat visit (past discounts were either the 10% repeat customer or 20% DFF “Dive Friend Forever”).

Just a NOTE: Apparently the 10% discount for repeat customers only applies to packages (e.g. NOT tank cards) and must be applied at check-in. This was my 13th consecutive time using DF, and I was disappointed to not receive a discount on my tank card when I brought it up on checkout.
This was the first time I didn’t receive a discount during a repeat visit (past discounts were either the 10% repeat customer or 20% DFF “Dive Friend Forever”).
Good to know- I have never done a tank card. I only do the 6 day unlimited nitrox package or multiple weeks of the 6 day package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom