Bonaire Trip report for June 7-14.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstridWilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This was our first trip to Bonaire. I normally do not like to repeat a place, as there is so much to see around the world, but I do now understand the appeal of repeat visits to Bonaire and we will most likely return to Bonaire. I LOVE LOVE the ability to dive without a scheduled boat trip or a guided tour. We did 14 dives in the 5 days we could dive. We could have done more, but had non divers with us.
Day 1 - Saturday:
My Husband and I arrived with our Son and his wife on Saturday evening. We flew Insel and YES the plane left an hour and 20 minutes late. Fortunately for us; we still caught our connecting flight as Insel held the plane. We arrived in Bonaire only 30 minutes later than planned, but that was enough for us to miss the pick up of our Budget rental truck. I was disappointed as the manager emailed me to say they would stay open until 10:30PM. We arrived at their window at 10:08 PM. Again, we were lucky that Sun Rentals (great company to deal with- I highly recommend) had a driver and he was already at the airport. So, we arrived at our new Home “Casa Del Mar” around 11PM.
This is one thing, I did not like about flying into Bonaire. We really lost a whole day as Insel only has late afternoon flights and very early return fights. Yes they are $500 per person cheaper than other airlines flying out of Charlotte NC. But, I like to get in mid afternoon, so you can get groceries and relax and get in the water the first day. As it was, we did not hit the water until noon on the second day.
Villa “Casa Del Mar” had some bad reviews on Flip key, but they have completely remodeled it and it is gorgeous. The House has its own reef “Small Wall”, which was my favorite reef with the exception of “Hilma Hooker”. The house has a wonderful infinity pool, private beach and no real neighbors. There is a gated carport and a safe so we always felt secure. The Black Durgon Inn was our closet real neighbor. The location for unlimited air was perfect as “Buddy Dive” was only minutes away. The Zhung Kong Supermarket was also only minutes away and was perfect for all the things we ran out of mid week. I would stay here again if I returned to Bonaire.
Day 2 – Sunday:
We lost more time out of the water waiting for Budget to pick us up. We called and they could not find our place. We waited almost an hour. But, as it luck would have it we still made the 9AM orientation. After Orientation we had a great Breakfast at “Captain Don’s” and enjoyed the lizards that entertained us by the water. After Breakfast we shopped at Van den Tweel Supermarket. It was fun, but we were extremely anxious to be done with the logistics and in the water.
Everything was fantastic for the rest of the week; when we finally hit the water. First dive was at Buddy Dive as per Marine park rules, your first dive needs to be at a house reef. I recommend Buddy’s Reef as we saw 3 large Tarpons even in the day time and the entry was a metal staircase. Best entry on the island that we dove. Back home for lunch and then the “Small Wall”. We saw a turtle everyday at our Home reef and the biggest Parrot fish I have ever seen. They were 3 times bigger than all the other parrot fish we saw on the island. Loved this reef!! It was very healthy and not many divers dive it, as it takes a boat to get to it, if you are not staying at our Villa or the Inn.
Dined in and made Hamburgers from meat we purchased at Van den Tweel. Excellent burgers.
Day 3 – Monday
We went to “Windsock” in the morning and “Small Wall” and “Ol Blue / Tolo” in the afternoon. Windsock also has very easy entry and good snorkeling. Tolo is just knockout gorgeous, the prettiest dive spot we visited. The water is exceptionally blue and I loved the cliffs. Very photogenic. There is a one way road to get to Tolo, so I would suggest two dives on that road. We only had time for one dive as our family was waiting for us for diner.
Dinner was spaghetti at home.
Day 4 – Tuesday
Dove at My favorite dive site “Hilma Hooker”. We were swimming out and was wondering when we were going to see the wreck when a wall loomed up on us, it was kinda eerie yet very cool. The wreck is very nice and you can enter the wreck on the back side. Tip for those who have never dove “Hilma Hooker”, snorkel on the way to the ship wreck, it is not a long swim but we were against the current. My husband used a lot of air swimming out. Another tip is to swim to left when you hit the wreck as the ship bumps up against the reef to the left so you have the best of both worlds, a reef teaming with fish on your right and the ship wreck on the left.
Home for lunch and then shopping in Kralendijk for souvenirs for the grandkids. Town was very nice. The stores are colorful and you are NOT pressured to buy something as in other Caribbean islands. I was actually followed down the road in Cozumel once and pressured into buying a dolphin figurine I had admired but decided not to purchase.
Back at home, we dove our villa reef again “Small wall”. Dinner was KFC.
That evening my son and I dove my first night dive at Buddy’s. We did not see a lot but the 3 resident Tarpons kept us entertained, they stayed with us the whole dive and darted up on us. Once they dove past me and then under my son. The dive was fun and kinda creepy at the same time. Again, I recommend Buddy’s for a night dive as the lighted metal stair case makes entry very easy.
Day 5 – Wednesday
In the morning we dove “Oil slick”. This dive has an excellent entry as it has a metal ladder down into the water and the water is very blue. This dive is close to the beginning of the one way road, so we drove the road again with the rest of the family and detoured off to see the Indian inscriptions and the water on the west side of the island. After lunch we went to “Front porch” to see the tug boat wreck. The current was very swift on the swim back, but we were never very far from shore. The tug boat is in 60 to 90 feet of water with not much reef so the water is especially clear and bright. Lots of fish around the small tug boat. I enjoyed the dive.
If I have not mentioned it before, my son is a Dive master and my husband was certified right before our trip, so these were his first ocean dives. That afternoon, my husband and I did our first solo dive of “Small Wall” without our Dive master son supervising. It was fun, as this was the first time for me playing dive master/leader. As I have said before “Small Wall” is a phenomenal reef. Teaming with fish, lots of blue tangs and several resident turtles. This was one of my favorite dives. It was my husband’s last dive for the trip.
Dinner at Patagonia that evening. I had ordered the sea food platter which was to be shrimp and scallops and mahi-mahi but was served shrimp, mussels and calamari. Not what I ordered and then was told they were out of Scallops. Due to this mix up, I do not highly recommend this restaurant. The rest of the family ordered the fillets, they were excellent. I traded my seafood for a fillet, but it was not cooked to order, so I was disappointed with my meal.
Day 6 – Thursday
In the morning we dove “Margate Bay”, lots of fish as promised and a very pretty beach. “Margate Bay” was the furthest south dive we did and the drive down was past the salt pier. After this dive we drove around the southern tip past the white and red slave huts and the light house to the west side of the island where the water crashes into the rocks and flys up 20-30 feet. It is spectacular (A must see for trip to Bonaire). We stopped in several places along the drive to takes pictures. We saw a few flamingos.
In the afternoon we dove “18th palm”. This dive is noted for sleeping Tarpons. We saw 10-12 sleeping tarpons. You can swim right up to them and they will just slowly move away. We also saw the largest lion fish at this dive site. The reef is shaped like a hook, so I recommend moving down the sandy beach and enter right before the wall instead of close to the entry gate as we did, This way you can see more of the hook. The lion fish and the tarpons are in 60-80 feet of water, so it is really only a 35 minute dive. Back home again and our last dive at “Small Wall”. We finally found the cave!!
Dinner was Chicken at home from the Zhung Kong Supermarket.
Day 7 – Friday
Our last full day, so NO diving. My Husband and I did the Klein Bonaire drift snorkel. We took the 10:30 water taxi from Eden Beach. They stop at “No Name” Beach, you drop off your stuff (we packed lunch, drinks and towels). Then they taxi you down the island and you get into the water and drift snorkel down the reef. The current was strong on Friday, so we were back at “No Name” Beach in an hour and 15 minutes. We literally just floated down the reef, did not kick or move our arms except to steer a little. The advertised time is 1 ½ to 2 hours. So we were able to catch the 12:45 taxi back home after our lunch on the beach and we snorkeled at home most of the afternoon.
Dinner was my favorite meal. We ate at Capriccio. Everything was excellent right down to the Beatles music they played in the background. I order pumpkin stuffed Ravioli’s. They were sooo yummy. My daughter in law ordered the Spaghetti Carbonara which was very good and the guys ordered pizza. The bread was to die for. Maybe we were really hungry?
Our evenings after dinner were cards and a movie that we brought from home.
Day 8 – Saturday
Early flight home. The plane was on time, we actually arrived home 30 minutes earlier than we had scheduled.
Loved the trip. Sorry for the looooooong report, but I like to document it all for my self.

Great report! Thank you for sharing your experiences. We are visiting Bonaire in September for two weeks, our first trip there. I'm trying to estimate food costs. Any thoughts? Our breakfast is included in our package at Buddy and we plan to do some cooking in our apartment and some eating out. I've heard food is expensive on Bonaire, especially in some restaurants. Would welcome any tips!

We did a lot of cooking in as there were four of us and it was just easier. We had breakfast and lunch in everyday with one exception. Grocery prices are a higher, example, a gallon of milk is $7. Pack of Kraft America cheese was $6. Some things are the same. We spent ~ $100 a day for food for the 2 of us, this included beer, wine and southern comfort. Meals out averaged $75 per couple. We used very little cash. Capital One quick sliver Master Card has NO foreign junk fees and offers 1.5% cash back on all purchases. MC was accepted everywhere we went.
Plan to budget $100 per day for food.

---------- Post added June 26th, 2014 at 10:28 AM ----------

One more tip: Not sure who you are flying with, we checked 3 bags with Insel; however they allow 4 free bags. In hind site, I would pack a fourth bag with more dried goods, cereal, cookies, peanut butter, jelly, salad dressing etc. Bonaire does not have the variety we are used to at home. We were at perfect weight on our 3 bags going (a little under) and we had packed bottles of water, but going home, the Insel scales were off and we had to dump stuff in our carry ons, a fourth bag would have helped to transfer the load for all 4 of use.

We were there during the same period as Astridwilson (excellent report BTW). I asked the same question before I went. I had the breakfast at Buddy's, for lunch we got sandwich fixins at Zhung Kong and more often than not, had sandwiches. For dinner I either had sandwiches (yea, I like sandwiches) or ate out. The meals out cost me an average of around $25 (drinking water). Not too bad....

I too flew Insel-Air. Just read the fine print on their ticket. You must check in 2 hours before the flight if you have checked bags. We had to reschedule our flight to Curacao because it landed 2 hours before Insel took off. By the time we got our bags from the flight into Curacao, went through all of the bureaucratic stuff you have to go through, there was not enough time to check into Insel for our flight and hit the 2 hour window. After talking to them, Insel would not budge from this requirement. Anyway, we did some scrambling to get the flights rescheduled so they would mesh with Insel's requirements.

The flight issue was the only problem with the trip. Like Astridwilson, we had a great time with excellent diving.

Jim

Funny, on the trip out, we arrived at the airport 2 hours ahead of schedule, but on the return flight we arrived at the airport at 6:30 AM for our 7:45 AM flight, but by the time we got through the LOOOONG line and at first only one person checking in bags. It was after 7AM. The only issue everyone was having was adjusting their bags due to the scales being off. Insel would not budge on the weight restriction. This was really holding up the line. Our CUR flight was at 10AM. We flew Insel all the way thru to CLT NC, so no issue with picking up bags in CUR?

I had no issue with the return flight in Bonaire... In fact the check-in folks didn't even get there within the 2 hour window. In Curacao there was a 5 hour wait between flights. The only issue I had with the return flight was Miami customs.... I had 2 1/2 hours between flights and barely made it to the next flight as boarding had started.

Coming down the only way I could figure it out was leave DFW airport at 5:30 AM, get to Miami catch that flight to Curacao and then wait for about 5 hours for the last Insel-Air flight to Bonaire. I'll have to look at Insel-Air in the states for the next flight... Maybe it'll be a little less painful.

Both ways it was something like 14-16 hours. I should be glad I didn't have the trip didn't last more than 24 hours. Shoot I can fly to Europe quicker...

Jim

We have actually driven 5 hrs from Atlanta to Charlotte just to get the much less expensive Insel flight. In October we're driving to Birmingham, staying overnight, then taking Delta via Atlanta. Even including the hotel and gas, it's less expensive than the $900 Delta would charge us for the "privilege" of flying nonstop from their hub.

Glad you had a good trip overall. You seem to do Bonaire the way we do--mostly preparing our own food.

DSC01355.jpgDSC02297.jpgHilma Hooker Dive Site.jpgKlein Bonaire Angel Fish.jpgKlein Bonaire tang.jpgTolo Dive Site 01.jpgWindSock Dive Site.jpgDSC01377.jpgOil Slick Dive site.jpgMargate bay Dive site.jpgKlein Bonaire Turtle.jpgDSC02034.jpgDSC02135.jpgDSC02144.jpgDSC02145.jpgDSC02163.jpgDSC02165.jpgDSC02178.jpgDSC02257.jpgDSC02271.jpg

Forgot to add pictures. All the Palm tree pics are at "Casa Del Mar" The others are at dive sites or Boanire Landmarks and the under water pics are Klein Bonaire or "Casa Del Mar" snorkeling pics. I do not yet have a dive camera.

Nice pictures and report! Next time we are going to be more thrifty with meals and I liked your suggestions. However, I loved all of the reasonably priced dutch bread, cheese, and cookies at Van Den Tweel, its one of our favorite Bonaire treats! We also embraced the non refrigerated milk as I read all about the processing and was less shy about it this time! I did bring my own instant oatmeal, just to see it at ZK, too funny. I thought the grocery selection on island was much improved since our Oct. 2011 trip, but yes if you want something specific, probably ought to bring it!

Back
Top Bottom