Bonaire trip report (Oct 25-28...Buddy Dive sux)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at Buddy's for the week of Oct 3 - 10th had a fantastic time. It was perfect for a group of four divers. That being said I won't stay there again, just way to many places to try. When I'm able to make another trip it is going to be for two weeks and I hope to bring the wife and kids.

Ron

i'm just curious, what was their justification for charging you to look up the certification? Its just a phone call or internet dive check...

i'm just curious, what was their justification for charging you to look up the certification? Its just a phone call or internet dive check...

you know, we are so paranoid about this issue - not having a C-card with us, that I now pack them in 2 different locations. I make sure we both have a card in our dive logs in carryon bag, and also I carry a card in my wallet. Then I make a photocopy of cards that I pack in suitcase and also leave a copy of the cards at home. That way if for some reason we lose our cards, I can call daughter at home and have her FAX the copy to us. :wink: Yeah, I know it is a bit much but I can't tell you how many times I hear about people forgetting or losing a card on their vacation. :shocked2:

They had none. After asking the girl numerous times she just went and got the manager.

He said "well sir we have to pay monthly for the internet service to check on these types of things so we have to charge you".

I said "$15 U.S to do something that will take you 1 min?"

"Yes sir, I have to charge you"

"But you're the manager, you can choose wheather you charge me"

"Yes sir, but I have to charge you".

Language barrier was a bit stiff and I did not care to argue anymore.

As I said....numerous little things like this is what made Buddy Dive Terrible experience for us.

Pretty common complaints . Buddy Dive is living off good will from the past . I have not had the opportunity to stay there but I have found the service at their restaurant was rather non existent .
When in the Caribbean that stuff does not bother me . Just don't go back to that place . Bonaire is known for its great shore diving , not great service . You will find the same thing at other places but for about half the price . At which point it is painless to endure .
Having said that , I have had some great service at smaller owner operated restaurant on Bonaire . Some exceptional .

You will find the same thing at other places but for about half the price . At which point it is painless to endure .
Having said that , I have had some great service at smaller owner operated restaurant on Bonaire . Some exceptional .

My thoughts exactly! I stayed at Buddy dive once and haven't been back yet. I didn't find it to be horrible or great but for far less the price, you can have much better. That said, I would have charged the OP 15 bucks too for forgetting their C-Card. Nothing personal, it's just that is the first thing a diver should pack. Crap happens, so you pay for it.

Bonaire is IMHO the definition of the DIY vacation (all the positives or negatives that go along with that concept) and that goes for packing your C-Card.

My thoughts exactly! I stayed at Buddy dive once and haven't been back yet. I didn't find it to be horrible or great but for far less the price, you can have much better. That said, I would have charged the OP 15 bucks too for forgetting their C-Card. Nothing personal, it's just that is the first thing a diver should pack. Crap happens, so you pay for it.

Bonaire is IMHO the definition of the DIY vacation (all the positives or negatives that go along with that concept) and that goes for packing your C-Card.

Well my wallet fell out in my truck at the Airport. So.....not exactly an oversight I need to be "punished" for by someone who knows not what they speak and is quick to judge.

:no:

They had none. After asking the girl numerous times she just went and got the manager.

He said "well sir we have to pay monthly for the internet service to check on these types of things so we have to charge you".

I said "$15 U.S to do something that will take you 1 min?"

"Yes sir, I have to charge you"

"But you're the manager, you can choose wheather you charge me"

"Yes sir, but I have to charge you".

Language barrier was a bit stiff and I did not care to argue anymore.

As I said....numerous little things like this is what made Buddy Dive Terrible experience for us.

This must be a joke...

Do they charge you for calling the shop so they could cover their phone bill?

Do they use the internet for things other than looking up diver certifications?

What does it cost them per month for internet service?

I would've pulled out the iphone and showed the cert card on the agency website!

Ridiculous...taking advantage of the customer and being an ass about it!

Been going to Bonaire almost every year since 1976..Stayed at Flamingo(too big-no rental truck included-very old property),
Habitat(no rental truck included,dive staff can be rude at times),
Sand Dollar(some of the rooms falling apart,ground landscapping is non existant,dive staff again can be rude at times, no rental truck included in stay-had to pick up at airport site),
Plaza(again very large,access to their house reef a real pain-can be a 5 to 7 minute walk with camera gear from your room,no rental truck -had to pickup at the airport) and Buddys.Even checked out the grounds and rooms of other hotels/resorts there.Found Buddy's the easiest to deal with.
Every place has its good and bad.For the cost(room-diving-rental truck-breakfast-ocean front property)ease of access to water via their dive dock,dive staff and condition of property/grounds Buddy's works for us.Saying that you will never return to Buddys is ok,everyone does not like same things,..Try other places on island and find one that fits your particular needs. Some of the issues the op had could have been avoided if they read up on policy of resort (guide in each room) and been aware of them. To charge you $15. to do a dive check for missing c card is totally wrong. Was it Irinia at the front desk? She is a front desk manager there.If it was Irinia I am surprised at this.The front desk does not ask to see certification cards,it had to be at the dive shop office on the dock.. Did you bring the matter up to Augusto? He is the dive op manager and I am fairly certain he would have taken care of this for you.The dive op there has always gone out of their way to make our stays enjoyable.Even as far as replacing -not just repairing-my brother in laws inflator on his bcd at no charge on our last stay..He was ready to pay for the service and was told no charge.!
Augusto has internet access in his workspace at the dive shop and could have done it for you there..The people at the front desk only follow directions and have no authority of anything out of the norm..As to the rental vehicle ,feel blessed to have one of the older ones.I prefer it that way,as to not worry about gear or underbrush in the park scratching it.

Thnx for the report and thnx for letting us know about Buddy Dive

Back
Top Bottom